Whats the perfect strap?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thebassmuchacho, Dec 10, 2003.

1. I have the problem that im sure alot, if not all, bassists have, which is getting back pains and shoulder pains after playing standing up for more than an hour and a half to two hours. My bass isnt ridiculously heavy, i just need to find the perfect strap so that my back doesnt break in half.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A wider, padded strap helps with the shoulder. I have a Levys (or is it Levis?) black leather, 3" padded that is very comfortable. Ain't cheap though. I think I paid $45 bucks or so for it.

Back pain probably won't be helped with a strap. Is it low back or upper back pain?
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Padding is nice, but the width is more important. The broader the strap, the more strap area rests on your shoulder. This means less weight per square inch -> more comfort.

Get a strap that's at least 3 inches wide and you're set.
  4. thanks, i knew that stuff, but for some reason i cant seem to find a nice wide and cushioned one, any links or pics?
  5. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I use this one with my Warwick (HEAVY!) and I don't notice the weight a bit!

(Click picture for link to buy)
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Let me be the second to recommend the Comfort Strapp. I have tried them all, and this is the best. My wide padded leather Levy's are nice, but I still feel the weight after a while. With the Comfort Strapp, I can wear my Jazz for 4 sets with no pain.

One word of caution. They do not have much adjustment range, so it is very important to make sure that you order the right length.
  7. i kinda like woven straps ... jim dunlop's are my favorites. Though i doubt those will help you in any.

Though there are some systems i've heard of, one that clips to your blet and supports the weight of your bass with your hips rather then yout back and shoulders, but i've only seen an add for it in a magazine and i don't know if it's any good.

8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I forget the brand of mine but it is 3 inches wide with padding, and it has a nylon strap on it too, but it is sinched every few inches, and when you put it on, they help support the weight. Idk its hard to explain.
  9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Mine's between three and four inches wide, and has an even wider fabric pad (I refuse to buy leather). The fabric feels like a really warm, soft sweater. I love it. It's made by some company called Blue Note, and it cost about $25. Definitely give it a look.
  10. wakizashi

Dec 5, 2003
    Get a Levy. They are the most comfortable straps I've used and I've used a lot. You should be able to find a three inch nylon Levy for like ten dollars if you look.
  11. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    3rd vote for the Comfort Strap :D
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree entireley !!!

Comfort Strapp!!

I tried loads over 20 years or so and this is the only one that could make a TRB6P comfortable for a whole set !!

MY 5-strings feel light as a feather now, with Strapps!! :)
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I got a black Ernie Ball, maybe 2" wide, made of nylon I believe. It can adjust from below my knees, to my shoulders. It is the only strap I have ever owned, works flawlessly, and cost me $5.95. She's a keeper.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  15. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    got a levy's 3" leather strap five or so years ago and never have bought a new strap. its all broken in now and very comfy.
  16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    How would you choose a size, measure your current strap length and then compare it to the measurements posted on http://www.comfortstrapp.com?

EDIT: What about this thing? It doesn't look like it got very good reviews, but does anyone here have any experience with it?
  17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I own a slider strap and it's horrible. It's like wearing a harness.

I have a Levy's 3" leather strap amd it works well. They're awfully expensive, though.
  18. It's not just the strap man, it's also how you wear your bass. If you wear it lowslung, a la punk style, that is quite likely gonna give you trouble. Also if you hunch over. Check out Gard's avatar thingie. It's on one of the posts in this thread. His bass position, and his posture, are very professional and I guarantee he can do a four hour gig with no worries. The wrist of your left hand should be near straight and your fingers curled as if holding a can of beer.:D
    A bent left wrist and a baseball grip on the neck of your bass all contributes to back pain, because the movement of your fingers comes from right back at your shoulder. Many top bassists agree that the position of your bass when you're seated should be the position when you stand up. OK, I'll admit that if you're a punk or metal player it looks pretty cool to have it low, but it sure aint good for your back.