Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats the point in a tenor bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paz, Mar 3, 2005.

1. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    i mean if you want a bass thats adgc why not just get a 5 string and have a low e just in case you ever need it. or am i completly wrong and a tenor bass is something else

2. It can be handy, One of my old basses is currently strung like that!! I dont feel comfortable playing a 5string, the spacing is weird and the neck it a little too wide, so i prefer the feel of a 4 string. But i still want the high C string, so i string one bass ADGC!! Dont use it very often just for home use, sometimes recording!!

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Depends on the musical context. For example, on the song "More Love" on the A Show of Hands album, Victor Wooten makes excellent use of a tenor bass.

I'm not sure I'd use a tenor bass in death metal, but in some musical contexts it's great. I think a tenor bass would be great in children's music.

I know when I was teaching kindergarten, I'd usually have to play stuff at higher octaves since kids that age can't really attenuate well to low frequencies (hence the reason why so much children's music is very high pitched). So rather than race up and down the fingerboard, I went for a 6-string so I could grab the high notes more easily when playing Disney stuff for them. Of course, I also needed my lows since I was playing in a more traditional band too.

4. Ultimately you have to ask why not ?
    Also not everyone who wants/needs that higher range would wish to play a five or six string bass. Whatever rocks your boat IMHO. :)

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1,000,000

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    -1, +2

7. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    So your guitarist can tell you to play tenor.... Ten or eleven miles away.

8. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Just get a six banger, it's a bass,tenor and piccolo all in one and if that aint enough 7 stringers are out there. :D

9. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    whats the piccolo ? :)

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I can't disagree, but sixers generally do have wide necks that can be uncomfortable for those who don't have bear paws. I found the 6-string necks on the Peavey Fury and Ibanez SR506 a tad wide for my tastes- and those are two of the slimmer 6-string necks out there. It's the pretty standard 2.125" at the nut and 3.25" at the last fret.

I loved the Samick Fairlane's neck since it's the narrowest 6-string neck I've been able to find (2" nut, 3.1" @ 22nd fret.) If it weren't for that bass, I probably wouldn't be playing a 6.

So as another poster said, having a bass with an alternate tuning can be a good thing, especially if wider necks just don't agree with your hands.

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    The Cort atrisan neck-through has a pretty narrow neck, as does the Washburn models. The US masters is pretty narrow, their six string neck is basicly a 5 neck/w six strings on there.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I used to tune an old MIM jazz to ADGC when I was playing with another bassist (upright) rhoades and drums combo... Since at that time I was a die-hard 4-banger, that was somethat I felt comfortable with. I have since sold that extra 4 string MIM...

Now 5's are something that I'm used to and play currently...

My next 5'ver to be EADGC (with a hipshot D-tuner). I loved the timbre of the chords on a tenor-tune bass. Solo'ing is also a blast in that register(for me).

I think that a reason 'some' cats don't just jump right onto a 6'er, is because they might simply like the symetry and feel of a 5'ver, but desire the higher string.

A couple years I caught KiF! at a jazz club here in ATL and the bassist that was playing with FUZE on that gig was Tony Grey. He had two 'nearly' identical Fodera Garrison 5's... The only difference was that one was E-C and the other was B-G. I was blown away that someone would do that, until he explained that it's what he felt comfortable with.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    j-raj, you're getting a PM

14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    cool, I always dig getting mail... except for bills. :eyebrow:

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    well, then don't read it!

:D

16. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    'BILL$', not Bill's :scowl: .

:D

17. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    ok just wondering, thats fair enough if your hands are too small or your just more comfortable playin a 4. i wanted to get a 6er till i played one, just wanted that high f string, maybe il go the way of tenor bass, but i still need my e :crying:

18. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    When I was in highschool, I bought my teacher's old 5 string...hohner version of a Steinberger, the one with the narrow body. Anyway, I used to get weird looks from music shop employees when I asked for 5 string sets with EADGC.

"No, you mean BEADG..." followed by a pity laugh :D .

"No, stinkleberry :eyebrow: , I want the high C," is how I usually countered.

I really dug the strange bassy highs that I could get. Of course, I went to a 6 pretty early, probably because of that.

Let me ask you folks for a suggestion: If I wanted to string my 6 EADGCF, could you suggest a manufacturer or custom maker for a set like this? Thanks

19. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

that's pretty funny! :p

20. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Yeah, well, he asked for it :)