Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's the point of bass in metal/thrash?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jvasquez18, Apr 17, 2002.

1. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    if the bass isn't really heard, why do they play it? to get a thicker sound? a all of sound? can't they just get a baritone guitar? why am i talking as if i invented the question mark?

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Should basses only be used in jazz? I see your point, but there are a lot of metal, punk and thrash bands that mix the bass so that it can be heard.

3. arky86

arky86

Jan 29, 2002
    i think that you need a bass in thrash bands because they are used a lot more than you think and while yes sometimes it is not heard it is used a lot you just have to find the bands and there are tons.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Because the guy on the left side of the stage has to play SOMEthing. Duh. ;)

5. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    HAHAAHHAALOL

6. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    lol
    i dunno..... I guess Rhythm.... in my thrash metal band i was in i played pretty much rhythm with a sick distortion. we played mostly slayer covors and exodus songs and older metallica.. and some motorhead =D i love thrash

7. I haven't listened to a whole lot of thrash, but I'd think you'd really be able to tell a difference if it wasn't there, even though it is hard to notice the way it is

8. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13

i love thrash too. and most thrash bands (emphasis on MOST) have two guitars.

9. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    that's where my baritone guitar question comes in.

10. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    1. Ever hear a guitar? not very much bass now is there? The bass adds definition to the guitar. Also, guitarist have to watch how much bass is going through there speakers, cause once you get too much bass, the distorsion doesn't sounds as great.

2. Rhythm.

Adding a baritone guitar would sound terrible IMO. The bass is meant to be a clean sounding backing instrument.

11. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    you're my messiah.:)

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Man, that depends. I have played with a couple of LOUD, bassy guitarists...that they insisted on playing everything in a Barre position or, even worse, liked the LOW "E" drone as they strummed away to oblivion...these guys really made the joy of playing/creating something 'musical' into a cumbersome task.
    As far as "adding definition"...FME, it's a muddled cesspool whenever the aforementioned players stick to their ROOT-on-the-bottom voiced chords while the bass ventures away from the ROOT.

I have been asked to 'turn down' because "There's too much bass". In reality, it was one of these yahoos that was "too bassy"(FWIW, I usually have a mid-oriented tone; I'm not big on LOW END for the sake of low end).

BTW-
    Same goes for the pianists/keyboardists that like pounding away on the ROOT note with their left hand...

Also, I'm not for distortion on my bass; many have made distortion part of their sonic stew, though.
    If that's what helps someone get their idea/point across...I'm definitely "OK" with it.

And "rhythm"? Rhythm/Time in a band is everyone's responsibilty.

13. You know, I often wonder of the same thing.

14. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sound guy: Turn it down it bit, there's too much bass.

You: But it's not me -- it's the guitarist!

Sound guy: Yeah, okay. Just turn it down!

You: But I swear, it's not me!

Guitarist: :D

15. I often wonder what's the point of metal/thrash.

:D

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    HateGear-
    Been there, done that, huh? ;)

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Well, there is obviously a point, as is evidenced by bassists such as Alex Webster, Eric Langlois, Steve DiGiorgio etc. Those guys are excellent players, and there are a lot more who are worth hearing!

Bands like Slayer and Metallica, who are ruled with iron fists by their respective guitar players, of course aren't going to have loud or complicated bass. They just seem to want someone who will give them a good, solid background thud. I've been in similar situations - given lots of freedom to come up with parts and play aggressively etc., and then what? Get drowned out at shows and on recordings... :(

18. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13

so very true. SAD BUT TRUE:p. yea that's the problem i had in the thrash band.

19. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    "I know the score of that game. Forty, love."

Sorry, I just watched Who's Harry Crumb and thought that line fit the sitch!

20. Lately I've noticed a great amount of bass in metal. Granted it's sometimes labeled as "nu-metal" but I think there's no question that bass is starting to take a greater precedence then before. Lately all that guitarists are playing are power chords, which leave the bassist a chance to be a bit more dynamic.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.