Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the point of Double Ball end?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Alex, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

2. String changes are much quicker.

3. You don't have to wrap one end around the tuner post(perhaps you're better at this than some, but for me it's a bit of a hassle), just slip the ball into a recepticle(sp) at each end. You also don't need to cut off the excess length. I'm not saying it's a huge advantage or the only one, just the first that springs to my mind. A disadvantage is less strings to choose from.

4. I still don't understand. Sorry. :meh: :confused: :help: :bag:

5. I'll try one more time, then you're on your own. Up at the headstock end of all my basses except one, there are things called tuning machines. A portion of each one protrudes through from the back side to the front, or top, where I attach the non-ball end of bass guitar strings, [wrapping them 3-4 times around what I call the post.]I then tighten & tune the string. When I put strings on the one bass guitar I own tha uses double-ball end strings, I first remove the old ones; I loosen the tuning machine(located at the rear-most part of the bass)until I can easily pull the ball end from it's receptical(sp), then slip the other end out, examine & either discard or store the aforementioned string. I then slip one end of the new string into the nut end of the bass, the other ball end into the bridge/tuning macine, tighten a few turns, tune & wank. Removing & replacing all 4 strings takes mere me far less time than it did to 'type' this hopefully last reply. :)

Edit: The part in between these things:[]is the unneccesary part w/double ball end stringed basses.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    headless basses.

7. Hey man(olukas), I'm sorry if I sound all fussy/hungry/been-hanging-out-w/3-under-6-year-old-kids-all-day, but that actually is the case...

At least mom is now home. :hyper:

If it helps, I don't really care for double ball end strings anyway. :rolleyes:

8. soontobedead

soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    don't them steinbergers use'em?

9. O, Ok.

No advantage on normal basses?

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    There for Steinbergers and Steinberger type basses. They're not for basses with normal tuners.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You won't be able to install them on a headed bass anyway.

12. Alright, thanks guys.

Dontcha just love TB? I can be dumbfounded my something at lunch, and know all about it before I go to sleep. Amazing.