Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the point of DVD Regions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Mar 16, 2004.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    All I want is to be able to order a DVD of the "Best of Top Gear" from the BBC. But it's a region 2 dvd- as far as I know, that means I'm out of luck.

But what's point behind this? Why are DVDs regionalized? Is there any players you can buy in the US that will play British DVDs?

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    That way movie studios can sell dvd's for next to nothing in poor countries where it's unlikely people would pay more and sell them for more in richer countries without having to worry about people importing them. That's about the best reason I've heard.

There are a few region free dvd players on the market. They're usually a little expensive, around $150 or so if I remember correctly. Just do a search for 'region free dvd player' on google or ebay to get some models and then shop around. Also, if you own an xbox you can put a modchip in it and it can play any region dvd, it can play divx and xvid files too!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They do this to protect national distributors.
    For example, it can happen that it takes 6 months and more before a Hollywood movie hits German or European theaters. By that time that movie is probably already out on DVD in the US.
    So in their reasoning being able to play US DVDs in Europe will hurt theater sales and their EU distribution branches.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I suppose that makes sense. Doesn't help me watch Top Gear, but it makes sense.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Most cheap players with computer drives inside have a "secret" button combination for playing all codes.

Google "yourmodelname code-free" or "yourmodelname region-code" or other variants and you might find a solution.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

PS2s will play DVDs and there is a cheap program available to play any region.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the help, gentlemen. I do have a PS2, so I'll have to check out what Bruce suggested. If that doesn't fly, I'll look for info on the DVD players we have at the house.