Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the point of....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fake Trees, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    What's the point of being able to tilt the saddles on fender bridges? do tilted saddles actually DO anything?

2. The screws on both sides of a Fender saddle aren't there for "tilting". If you think about it, there isn't a way to use a screw as a height adjustment unless you use 2 - one on each side of the saddle to stabilize the piece. The fact that each side can be adjusted independently is just a natural result of this style of adjustment.

3. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    ok, but then why do i see people with tilted saddles?

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Lazy, stoopid,careless, ignorant....etc. ;)

There's a lot of it about !!!

As Hambone says you really need to stabilise the saddle - if they are uneven, then there is always the chance one side will lose contact with the bridge body and set up unwanted vibrations, buzzes etc.

Although not always - but why leave it to chance?

6. I have my bridge saddles slightly tilted.... on the B and G strings. Just to follow the curve of the neck from left to right. Its not excessive or the strings then feel uneven.

:D:D

Merls

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah it's not a big deal or anything - I've just noticed in the past that sometimes when I have carelssly set the saddle heights in a bit of a hurry - that one of the little legs (screws) is not touching the main body of the bridge - I should think as long as they are both planted firmly, then slight angles are no problem.

8. Oh yeah i noticed that once.... rectified it and you can tell a difference.

Everything revolves arround symmetry...

Oh crikey give me an LG advert would ya. :p

:D:D

Merls

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Daaaaaaaaah-ha, merlo with the Oz-specific call! Yes! :D

10. You might find that you can change the string spacing marginally, not by a lot but still a little bit. As its been said, the strings may become a little more unstable as a result, depending on how much slant you apply

The only angled saddles I've seen were on a Bronco (the short-scale Fender), cause they have just the two pieces for the four strings. Therefore to have the strings at different heights, the saddles must be slanted.

Josh D