Whats the point?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lowner, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    This guy at my local guitar shop decided to build his own bass and he is putting a tremolo sysytem on it. I have seen a few basses with them, its just that I dont understand the point of them on basses. To me its like a screen door on a submarine. Is there a purpose for tremolos on the bass?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

never had one and can't say as I've heard one I know of but there are periodic posts on them so obviously some players find them useful enough to bare the expense. There are plenty of guitars without them for that matter. I would suspect it would have considerably less application for bass than guitar. The fact they are seldom seen on bass is probably a most telling indicator. Nothing I have personal experience though so pure head stuff.
  3. question: why is this thread here?

there are threads about tremelo or "whammy" bars...but not in this forum...
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I tell anyone who has a problem with my whammy bar to listen to Victor Wooten or Dave LaRue, then I tell them to bite me. Not really anyone else's call why I have one on one of my basses, nor is it my problem that someone else has a problem with it.
  5. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Name a song Victor Wooten has a whammy bar on? He plays Foderas and I've never seen one with a whammy.

A better example would be funk rock or psychadelic stuff. If you like bands like RHCP or Primus, you'd want one. They can do crazy effects and wobbles. Les Claypool uses his all the time. Listen to "My Friend Fats". Not incredibly hard or innovative, but effective.