1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whats the pro of tapping with 2 fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Nov 28, 2010.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    In the sense that you press ur middle finger ontop of your index finger for more strength supposedly.

with a hard tap and a pull of with just 1 finger and make notes ring out nice and clear, so what benefit can using 2 fingers bring?

Even billy sheehan, who emphasise alot on economy of motion, does it

2. For me it makes it more accurate and you can tap faster this way.(I press my index on my middle though) I only do it for fast hammer on and pull off tapping though I wouldn't use it for Double handed tapping.

3. Third Basser

Third Basser

Jul 6, 2010
    with more practice as you build up your strength you shouldn't need to do that, but maybe I'm not clear on exactly what kind of riffs you're playing

4. In fairness I think it has nothing to do with strength. At least for me. I can tap easily without doing this but I find you can move faster and tap very fast hammer on and pull off tapping this way. As I said double hand tapping I wouldn't use this technique. Only Van Halen type tapping.

5. I have small, weak hands. However, I find that using two fingers on one fret just makes thigns worse for me. I can tap more quickly, powerfully, and accurately with just one finger. I watched an Eddie Van Halen instructional video where he showed us how to do tapping on bass, and advised overlapping two fingers to form a "meaty hook". I've heard other references to it as well. It's not for me, so I don't do it.

6. Plantbrain

Plantbrain Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Don't stop there, do all 3-4 fingers!
    Adding the pinky takes some getting use to.

If you play some longer tap lines with a band etc, your fingers are going to get tired. If you slide with the tap finger.......it's going to get sore about 5 min or 5 practice sessions of the same song.

I started using the other fingers to avoid fatigue!
    Then incorporated them into the playing.

If you watch Stu Hamm, you can see quickly why using all the fingers makes it nicer. You can also make chords and use those in your playing and roots for the song, a bit tough to do with 1 finger.

You can certainly do different things with 2 or more finger tapping than just one and you might think differently in your approach to playing and writing.

I learned Stu's 3 finger tap and it's been a very useful tool.

http://www.stuarthamm.net/

Gots a new album too.
    Watch M Manring also.

This guys does a decent job with sexually active.

7. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    I think the OP talked about putting a finger on top of the other to have more strength. Of course using more finger in a two hands tapping is more effective