Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's the "punchiest" string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Matthew T., Aug 5, 2003.

1. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I'm getting dissatisfied with the sometimes limp tone of my MTD Heir. Sometimes it just sounds weak. The Heir is currently wearing a partially dead set of D'Addario XLs. Before I slap on another set of the same old thing, could someone recommend a string which may have more definition and body? For what it's worth, I'm running through a SWR Workingman's 12 which sounds great with my other two basses.

2. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    have you ever tried stainless steel strings? very punchy and noticeably brighter. i hear good things about DR stainless strings, but the only kind i've tried was ken smith and i thought they were good.

3. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    ditto what mental octopus said, DR highbeams are excellent strings which are pretty punchy. I ran them for a while on a yammy that I've sold; very good long lasting strings.

4. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I had a set of DR stainless Lo Riders lying around the house that I put on the Heir last night, which seems to have improved things a little. I'm still not entirely satisfied, though. Would the Hi Beams make that much of a difference? The Lo Riders almost seem to scoop the frequency range I want to fill. I'm in search of the low-mid fundamental.

5. D'Addario EXPs. They have the slightly broken in tone of stailess', and I have had them on my main bass for about 3 months, and they still sound great, well worth the 30 bucks.

6. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    I really like DR strings, and run the lo-riders on my stingray. I agree with you that the mids feel a bit scooped, but on the ray I am shooting for that. Just out of curiousity, are the lo-riders you put on there stainless steel or nickel core? Highbeams, to me at least, provided what seemed to be a more even response.

But hey, what do I know. It might be a good idea to switch brands for the most perceptible and drastic change.

7. I think the Fat-beams are better for mid-range punch than the hi-beams. The Hi-beams has a littler "warmer" sound when broken in.

8. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I'll try a set of Fat Beams or Hi Beams. However, tonight is church band practice, so I will see how the stainless Lo Riders sound in a group context before I peel 'em off. I have considered coated strings in the past, but I can usually make an uncoated set of strings last for months and haven't been able to justify the extra $$. If I can't find some strings to help juice up this bass's tone, I may be putting it up for sale shortly.