What's the ratio of Plankspankers to Doghousers in the World?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    A recent friendly debate in another thread left me wondering. 20:1? 50:1? 117:1? 4,358:1? I know there's no way to quantify this exactly, but any educated guesses out there?
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, the thread got me wondering that too. I would have to say somewhere between 50 to 100:1, for two reasons.

1)A good bass guitar can cost as little as $400 (give or take), while a good DB costs in the multiple thousands.

2)Its a lot easier to start playing bass guitar than it is double bass, because anyone who plays guitar (and there are quite a few of them out there) has a head start on bass guitar just because of the similarities in technique.

Oh yeah, another reason:

It's a lot more 31337 to play b455 G|_|174r :rolleyes:;):D
  3. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Until I started playing bluegrass, i knew 0 (zero) DB players and now I know probably 20 so I'd say more than 100 to 1. Probably for the reasons sited by Mr. Kick-a-Cann especially since DB is a seriously expensive habit to feed. I've been playing for just over 3 years and just finding my desired string height will set me back a couple of hundred dollars (too stubborn to go with an adjustable bridge) and strings have been another 5 or 6 hundred. If I didn't have a gig, none of my experimentation would be possible - thank the IRS for write-offs. Nextly because - every string bending guitarist thinks he/she can be a bassist and that ratio is like a million to 1.
  4. trinket

Nov 25, 2001
    office chair
    (sheepishly admitting) From someone who has recently taken serious interest to the upright bass... I'd say maybe 100:1 (?) Simply trying to find one in my town just to PLAY, (lets not even discuss any attempts at BUYING one) has been a loosing battle thus far... (culture bereft hicks ;) ) I won't be defeated by such a pitiful lack of diversity in my town :spit:
    (sorry, tangent)
  5. I think a critical definition of a bass player should be put forth before considering this ratio. Much like knuckle dragging guitarist wanna-be's, there is a similar horde of shockingly bad noise makers who think they're bassists because all you really need to play is the open E string (and maybe the first fret on turnarounds for that dark metal feel). Those numbers alone are enough to drastically impact the ratio. But with that in mind, I'd have to say 2500 to 1/4.
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Let me get you started: I play bass guitar.

(That's one.)
  7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I play both, so my votes cancel out, so it is still 1:0 :D
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    That's how I started. Anyway don't forget the fat kid with no friends who wants to join the school orchestra and gets given a double bass.
  9. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, that's mean. I'm the fat kid :(:bawl:

10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    You don't count-you have friends they just spend their lives online pretending to be musicians (do I have to include a smiley?).
  11. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

I think :confused:
  12. I think I need to apologize...I re-read my post and thought it was rather harsh. I too started out on a bass guitar, and I put a lot of time into learning how to play. And I'm sure that there are many people who have done the same, and that is regardless of age or skill level. I meant to address the annoying, but highly visible, population that skate by on a minimum and don't care because they 'rawk hardkore'. Having heart while you play is commendable no matter the style, but picking up a bass because it satisfies an image is horrible. There have been so many times when people have mentioned to me that they want to play bass because it's easy (after all, it only has four strings), and they only want to learn a couple of songs. Every time I hear such things uttered, it's as though I've instantaneously lost a couple million brain cells, and it's angers me because it trivializes the musicianship of bass players. But then, I'm an angry person anyway......
  13. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"

It took my wife a long time to teach me that people are allowed to just play around with music and have fun.
  14. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Do 1337 fI31dY w0r5hipP3r5 count as Plank Spankers? And what about doublers? Does electric upright count as doghouse? (You could probably fit one of those little Pomeranians in there... :eek: )
  15. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    No need to apologise as far as I'm concerned. I found it amusing.
  16. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    How do you count the players who go both ways? Real bass and toy bass that is.