Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the rave about Boss Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gillento, Jan 13, 2006.

1. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    What do people find about Boss pedals?
    Everytime someone asks about a "best" x pedal, there's always lots of recommendations for Boss pedals.
    OK, I agree, construction is very good! But all that matters to me is SOUND or TONE. I just can't live with the crappy Bypass sound of Boss pedals!!

2. I think the 'appeal' behind Boss pedals is as follows:

FOR THE PRICE:
    - Decent Tone
    - Solid Construction
    - Excellent Reliability

The key being, that for the low price you get an extremely reliable and well built effect. Also, the quality of the tone you get is decent, making them great 'bang-for-the-buck' pedals.

(As always: IMHO, YMMV etc.)

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I think another reason is that there's so many. Also, they just do a really good job marketing. They're not so cheap that they're bad, but they're not so expensive that they're boutique. Lots of popular musicians use them too, so you know what that means!

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I like Boss pedals because:

- they are readily available
    - thye are dependable and sturdy
    - they sound good, maybe not always the best, but good
    - I can power my BDDI as well as my Boss pedals with one power supply
    - if imitation is any indication of quality, Behringer must REALLY like them (had to toss that in:smug: )

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're readilly available
    They've been around forever
    They're more durable than bricks
    They're made of rather quality components

Basically they were the first, inexpensive, quality pedals. And they'll always be known for that.

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    They are there
    They are easy to use
    They are inexpensive
    They sound mostly good.
    They are built like tanks
    They don't take up huge amounts of space on a pedal board.
    Every BOSS pedal uses one of 2 chassis designs.
    All of them use the same power supplies

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Buying a pedal for it's bypass tone is like buying a car for it's stereo system......but, on a more helpful note, you could add the Boss line selector to your board.

8. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I'm going to have to disagree with that one. I just finished a little pedal buy spree and a few of them are already on their way since their bypass tone is so bad. I can't handle it either. Nothing like spending a lot of money on basses and amps to have a little box jack everything up.

Jason

9. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    Agreed. A pedal should add to the tone when it's on, not when it's off. To me that is a huge selling point because I only use effects on a few songs and don't want to buy/build a looper to keep it from negatively coloring the tone I use 80% of the time.

I use a Boss EQ and it does a decent job, although the selection of frequencys are horrible for me. I perfer EH pedals. I think they sound more organic and most are true/buffered bypass.

Matt

10. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I don't think each liutist of the world likes Fender...
    In my opinion, Boss just makes a great marketing. Period.
    Some of them are as good as a pedal of another brand might be... The fact is that they cost twice.

11. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Not all Boss pedals have bad bypass. It is sort of like shopping for MIM Fenders. Some are good, some are bad. I have about four, and think they sound fine.

12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    for me the real attractive bit is, they're reliable and you don't have to worry about them falling apart after a couple months, dying in mid-gig, or succumbing to aggressive use (I know a guy who once crushed his big muff flat stomping on it too hard), and they're very consistent-- one BF-2 is the same as another, you don't have to hunt for a 'good one' or so on like you used to have to do with old EHX pedals back int he 70s and so on.

13. That's totally subjective, I don't have a problem with Boss bypass at all. In fact, the biggest problems I have with my rig are to do with switch pop from true bypass pedals.

The main thing with Boss stuff is that it's well thought out which results in a simple, yet functional and effective unit.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hint : to get good tone, turn it on rather than checking bypass mode. :bag:
    Most boutique pedals don't have much more to offer than an oversized fancy box and true bypass.

15. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I don't think so: a nice stereo system is a nice addition to a car. But a neutral (not necessarily "true bypass") bypass sound is something crucial when playing music!

BTW: Adding a Boss Line Selector is rather contraproductive. It is giving the illusion of a neutral bypass.

I am not a die hard defender of true bypass. I really like my EBS, Peterson and SansAmp pedals. None of them is really true bypass, but they SOUND neutral when in Bypass.

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The only crucial thing for me is to sound good at the end of the chain. It doesn't matter if the tone colors along the chain, as long as the result is nice. I take it you use no onboard EQ, no wireless, no eq, just a DI straight into the PA ?

There's much more to take from the Boss musically than a bypass.

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  18. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    down at GC, they have a boss display with... I dunno; like twenty of'em all in series!!

If the bypass on twenty-in-a-row was all-that horrendous, I'd think the whole display would would be useless.

I love my boss pedals. Yes - I am planning on going with a true-bypass strip eventually, but I certainly have a quality sound now. Mind you, I don't go for the pure-as-the-driven-snow hi-fi sound either.

Like I've reported before: At the moment I run all-boss, except for an Aphex Bass Xciter. I don't have my pedals on a board (I gotta get-around to that!), and I keep them pretty-much all jumbled-together in a soft bag (camera bag, actually). That Xciter looks like It's been through a WAR, and that's just from STORING it along with Boss pedals! The Boss gear looks like new, except for little chips where they free-fell for some distance or something - (not an uncommon occurence). Those boss units must bully the poor thing when I'm not looking.

Joe

19. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Boss consistiently makes good quality pedals with good sounds. Overall, you can find better pedals. However, no manufacturer makes as many high quality pedals. The EBS pedals are similar in quality from a sound and build standpont, but I have a distortion pedal and delay pedal that I have had over 10 years and it has literally been run over by a truck and it still works and sounds good