Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's the (record) deal with these people???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    we send a lot of promo stuff out. we get lots of responses like this:

(actual complete and unedited response)

My label and company works on fee and % basis, $500 distribution deal,
    >$1000 distrib and promo deal, robert jackson let me know

aifrecords@erols.com

i think it's about time robert started getting some emails from people who are TRULY interested in what he has to offer. i think he should get asked lots and lots of questions, get called all the time, get tons of emails... anyone feel like having some fun???

ps. ordinarily i wouldn't even bother posting such things, but in all seriousness - these people are preying on young musicians. a student at my school paid a well known club $700 to play on a sunday nite, and took hell for it that he didn't come up with $1000. we've played the same club several times and they never expected a cent from us.

2. There's lots of ads like this circulating around Nashville. Every few years the newspaper will run an article on this setup. Basically we're talking about a scam. The "promoter" promises record deals, gigs, fame, whatever, and the young aspiring star gets suckered in. Most people get...nothing. A signature on a useless contract with a non-existent record company, maybe.

Buy a book such as "Running Your Own Rock Band" and do it yourself. DON'T pay somebody front money, you might as well throw it out the window.

3. I expect the standard contract, 15 Points split between 4 band members, blah blah screw you in the a$$hole blah blah kinda deal. But what I really expect and will sign to is the biggest advance possible. Because all record labels are trying to rip you off, it's best to go for the one that will show you the biggest blanket there. It's your job to whore your touring and merchandise to get any money of your own and let that promotion get your records sold to pay back the company.