whats the rest of Europe got to offer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tyburn, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Thinking about high end bass guitars,, and owning a nice Overwater, i was wondering what the rest of Europe has to offer in terms of builders and high end shops.

i know about all the main builders her in the UK, but what has the likes of France, Germany, Sweeden etc have to offer.

what i'm asking for is perhaps a few leads to high-end shops and their websites/ email addresses.

i've always wanted to go travelling around my grouped plot of land, ans combining it with bass make sense,,

stu (uk)
  2. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Hey Tyburn,
    kinda off topic for a second but has your name anything to do with Tyburn tree where they used to hang criminals and such (I'm remembering that old Dick Turpin TV series here....yes I'm old).

oh and we have a pretty good bassbuilder here in de auld sod

he makes some pretty nifty EUBs as well.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm..that's a new one on me and some nice-looking basses!

They have another picture of a bass guitar made out of "Irish Walnut" - that would be pretty unique. Visit to Ireland is looking more appealing - with strong pound meaning good for us! Wonder if you get stopped at customs on returning from Ireland....with a bass under your arm! ;)
  4. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    :D just tell em you found it with a crock of gold at the end of the rainbow....bejaysus.

I have no idea what 'Irish walnut' is, I wouldnt be surprised if it was made up kinda like Daniel O Donnel.......errr..wait a minute..

(that Blen bass is looking sweeter and sweeter)
  5. ohh,, just to add, i have seen one in person,, they have one at overwater,, doh,, interesting shape,, nice finish :)

yeah, the hanging tree, arrrghh history.

nice basses,, still can never leave my Overwater :)

hey bruce,, i'm still after the EA stuff,, hows it going with you??

the 1x10 and 1x12 combinations been recommended

sorry, still after shops though!!
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bought 2 VL208s from Overwater - the first one got stolen from my car boot! :(

This is quite simply the best cab I have ever heard, which is why I had to buy a replacement. I am thinking of pairing it with another EA 1 X10 or 1 X 12 , which I will probably also buy mail order from Overwater!
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  8. cool, thanks

hey bruce,, the EA CXL range in the 1x10 and 1x12 sounds great with the 350 head,,

still not sure about what to get,, i've got a trip to NYC to save for,, plus a few other bits and pieces..

i would like to try the
    2x8's, never had the chance,, my day will come
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    interp likes this.
  10. cool,, JMX

what about shops in Germany?,, i'd like to get around a few high end stockists of these bassist,, the sweet shops for bassist!! if you know what i mean

11. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Most sell direct but I'll post more links of bass companies and shops.
  12. cheers, i'm off to New York in novemeber, hopefully :) so i'll have a bit of fun there too
  13. I don't know if you know Denmark but we have 2 builders who makes high-end basses.
    The first one is Johnny Mørck. He is a lot of experience in the terms of building basses because he has been around since the 70's ( or so I think ).
    I can mention that Jaco Pastorius had one.

The other one is Chris Celinder. He is rather new but he has gotten recognition in NAMM ( I hope you know what that is ) and he also builds high-end basses. Meshell Nde'geocello ( hope I spelled that right ) plays one.

See the links in my signature.
  14. Materialist

Feb 26, 2002
    Check out the Belgian guitar/bass builder Kritz.

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey, the French are being neglected, rejected, and disrespected here! :D

Check out Leduc:

16. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  17. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Just took delivery of a Marleaux Contra five-string bass. It is the finest feeling, looking and sounding instrument I have ever held in my hands. And I've held a lot. Beats Fodera hands down.