1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what's the role of your fx ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jomahu, Dec 6, 2006.

what is the role of your fx?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2009.
  1. nice additions to my awesome chops!

35 vote(s)
    38.0%
  2. fx are my thing, no matter what instrument i run them thru

27 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. meh. i can do a gig with 'em or without 'em

40 vote(s)
    43.5%
  4. a nice whoosh or bzzzz covers my bass boo-boos!

10 vote(s)
    10.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    curious to see how people view fx in their playing.

edit: also, let us know what style/genre/feel you play or aim for.

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I said they're my thang, and I do solo ambient. I couldn't live without a loop station, delay and ebow...

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're just that, an effect. When I need some extra spice... STOMP.

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Generally speaking they effect my clean signal in such a way as to become pleasing to mine ear.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I find effects to be a fun novelty for bass, but haven't found anything that I feel I need to use on a consistent basis. There are a lot of cool effects out there, and I have fun fooling around with them from time to time, but for 99% of what I play, I have no use for them.

6. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I use them for everything. I love the way I can add unlimited dimensions to my sound with effects.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    They're a tool box of sounds to be used for flavor or accent. 80-90% of the time I play clean.

8. I actually chose all 4, because:
    a) shredding with fx makes for some interesting sounds...or noise...which I like
    b) fx ARE my thing...I like playing with keyboards and guitars, too...
    c) in my band, my parts are such that if something dies, I can continue without them
    d) sometimes i make mistakes

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    With a good amp, you don't need effects to rock out :bassist:

However, for anything beyond the usual, effects are a must, IMO.

I can do a gig without them, but that doesn't mean I'd give them up, either :D

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I was split on how to vote on this. For years (OK, decades :spit:) I have been an effects user, regardless of what sort of signal I was running into them- keys, horn, voice, and recently bass. But for the last year or so I've been trying to become a serious bass player, and learning the value of clean tone, and the more I really work on the bass, the less I switch on the fx.

11. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Effects provide more colors to add to my pallette of musical sounds.

I use them to paint pictures in soundwaves that require tones beyond the capabilities of my hands or my bass

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Tough call. When you are playing an electric instrument through a preamp/head where do you draw the line? I've always favored preamps that can switch between cleaner tones and overdrive, and have a fair amount of tone shaping.

I also use effects a fair amount, though I'm really into subtle blends of them, and with some routing abilities so that they are sometimes in different orders or just affecting above a certain frequency, or combinations of series and layered (parallel). I guess I like to paint with them, using footcontrollers to vary the wet/dry, inversely mix several different effects, etc.

13. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I voted for the fourth option. I can't really do without 'm... I'm in a Metallica coverband and I need a screaming distortion for For Whom The Bell Tolls and Orion. If they both aren't on the setlist, I could do without 'm. But man, an all Metallica set without For Whom The Bell Tolls? Blasphemy!
    We've done it though :D.

14. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    Every time a pedal intrigues me and I buy it I end up only using it with guitar.

I'd like to get an octave effect. but currently I only use 2 effects with my bass. a Bad Monkey and a DS1 (bad monkey into the DS1 never play the DS1 alone). I pretty much only play clean tho.

15. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I can play without effects, but when you play an 80 minute improvised song, it is nice to be able to change up the soundwaves every now and then. I haven't played a gig without at least some form of distortion pedal in about 4 years. Now-a-days there are usually a lot more.

16. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Dumbo, NY
    Effects are cool to spice things up a little...
    or even to get you through boring gigs...

17. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I use them "for effect."

I rarely keep them on for more than a few measures.

Just to add some color somewhere, or some nasty noise.

I like Wah with Flanger or Chorus for smooth high chords, for an almost ambient keyboard type of sound. I like Wah with Distortion/chorus, or with Synth or Synth/Flanger for nasty noise.

18. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    I use them for emphasis and variety for songs/parts for songs. They're especially helpful playing in a threepiece, I'm free to use effects as much as I want (although I don't... chorus, overdrive and octave are all i really need).

19. bbe

bbe

Nov 6, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    i said "fx are my thing, no matter what instrument i run them thru".

ive had lots of fun times running my drums through envelope filters and auto wahs.

20. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Effects really are my thing. Even though I don't necessarily use them very often, when I do use them, they become a fundamental part of my sound. I've sometimes created entire songs around a particular sound that I can achieve only with the use of a particular effect...

MM