Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the safest way to receive money ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by banditcosmo, May 7, 2003.

1. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I'm selling a bass to a guy I don't know and I want to know what would be the safest way to get the money.
    I don't think the guy has a paypal account so I was thinking a US postal money order would be the best. I've heard bank money orders can be fake as cashier's check's but I'm not sure about that. So how safe is a US postal money order ?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You can have him set it up on ebay so when it sells, you have ebay to overlook the transaction procedure and keep it in their records, and use a Postal or Western Union money order to pay for it. You'd have to pay ebay a small commission, however.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Since you don't have Paypal, a postal money order's the way to go. They can be redeemed for cash at a post office or deposited in a bank as a check.

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    man PayPal makes things easy...everybody should be "required" to have it...

agree that in this case a USPS money order is the safest option.

5. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    BUT with paypal credit card payments they take something like 2.9% off the total to cover their expenses. This can get to be a lot of money. Ouch.