What's the scale-length of your favorite bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Count Bassie, May 19, 2007.

Favorite Bass's Scale-Lenthg?

Poll closed Aug 17, 2007.
  1. 30 1/2"

8.8%
  2. 32"

6.8%
  3. 33" (Rickenbacker)

7.4%
  4. 34"

59.5%
  5. 35"

23.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I voted for 35" as my favorite bass' scale is abscent. My fav scale is fanned 34-37" (Dingwall)

2. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Neat axes!

3. steve21

steve21 Inactive

34" and 35"

If I could have a fretless made for me, I'd like it with a 31" scale or so. Smaller spacing = less worry of ***ing up the intonation. Which I could always use. :bassist:

4. If limited to my "main" and favorite bass it would be a 35" 5-string, but after a good amount of years I'm getting back into more traditional 34" designs recently. Different strokes for different designs.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    35-inch mostly. But the 34-inch Sadowskys work just fine.

6. It kinda works both ways, longer scale=longer margin of error.

I have found my 30" scale is easy due to the shorter reach, but it seems to require a little more accuracy to sound intonated properly.

7. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I had an Ampeg SSUB fretless, a 30" scale. Couldn't play it! It was too easy to over-reach, and the combination of short scale and no frets made it one of those "life's too short" situations. I sold it to a collector who re-furbishes cool old basses. Now it's medium scale for fretted (mostly) and long scale for fretless.

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    30".

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Strictly speaking, Rickenbacker basses have a scale length of 33 ¼ inches. You're close...

http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=4003

MM

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I especially like the ebony fretboard with mother of pearl blocks. I've always loved that look. It's so polished and finished in appearance...

MM

11. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Is that a Darkstar p'up? If so, are you a rabid testifier of such?

12. My favorite basses all are 34", but I'm not sure if it's the scale-lenght that makes them my favorites.;)

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    So there's someone else around here with a Marquee. I've had mine a couple of years and didn't like it initially, but dragged it out and dusted it off a while back, and it does a good enough J that I don't see the need for one. The only negatives I have with it are a bit of tarnishing on the gold (i hate gold) hardware, the enormous flipper headstock (useful for bitch slapping guitarists) and the 'cow' look with the white body and black PG's. My housemate says it would have been perfect for the rawhide scene in Blues Brothers.

I like the 32" scale and the variety of tones from the pickups. I got it about the same time as my Kubicki, also 32" but before I picked up the Alembic 30.75's. I really enjoy playing short and medium scale basses, but my main player is my Steinberger XL2A, which because of it's superb ergonomics I find as easy to play as the short and mediums, except for that extra bit of stretch in first position.

If I didn't have the Steinie, it'd be 30.5 (close enough to 30.75). If I didn't have my current collection and was starting from scratch with a new 4, it'd be a Status Kingbass Artist in 32".

14. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    We seem a rarity, yep.

Well this thread has been great for learning that a lot of higher-end bass makers are putting out a considerable number of medium to short-scale basses. I have come to like the shorter length, though I'm still getting used to it.

My Marquee is a 3-tone burst, which has that old knock-off, pawn-shop-bass look that I like. The neck had problems which were fixed with a fret levelling and crowning, and since then buzz is pretty minimal. I've heard of a lot neck trouble about the cheaper Marquees, and I think they've stopped making them. Too bad; it's a great bass for reggae too, as the shorter string length is looser and sounds a little darker.

Anyway I'm hanging on to my Stiletto- that's a nicer axe all-around, but I've recently come back to a shorter scale with the Marquee. Fun bass, and my current good time.

15. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    Sadowsky 24-fret 5-string with P/J's – 34"

I used to prefer longer scale lengths but since I got a Sadowsky, 34" seems to do just fine!

16. my ksd is 35"

17. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

34" scale on my favorite bass, my Wilkins P/J!

George

18. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I like 34" and 42" basses.

19. any pics 42" bass????

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021