Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats the "scene" like in newport news VA?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Apr 6, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    pretty self explanatory question. whats its like in Virginia. mainly around newport news, i might move so id liek to know. if anyoen is in VA id need some info. thanks.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Newport News and the entire Hampton Roads area is pretty rock, country, blues and beach music oriented. There are a few variety band like mine (www.rhythmmagik.com) here but the above is pretty much it. I moved here from NY and it's no where like the NYC music scene. And not as diverse! Not even close. If you are a rocker bassist, you'll find a band with no problem. I'm more of a jazz/funk/latin kinda guy but of course there ain't nothin' like that around here so I settled for a variety band that mixes it up. PM me if you want more info.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    that sounds ok. i might be moving. so...heres a pm.

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    to ressurrect this. there is a great band down there called Red Metric. they played a show up here in near DC and i got to meet them. they do heavier stuff, but their banter between songs is hilarious.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I know the band and I know the drummer, Moey G!! He was one of the first people I met down here when I moved. Very cool guy. Hellova drummer as well. He's got about 10 years in age on the rest of the band! His experience and maturity has made that band a hot commodity in the area and I think they are on the verge of signing a major (or minor) record deal!