Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the shelving used for on a fender BXR100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by armidex, Jul 28, 2000.

1. armidex

armidex

Apr 28, 2000
    Australia, Sydney
    hey
    whats the high and low shelving used for in the Fender BXR100 and how do you use it and what are the best settings for it?
    i ve got a fender standard

2. I have a BXR 100. [​IMG]
    Do you mean the midrange controls (low and high?)and the mid contour button? Or am I lost.

I don't know the specifics of mid range frequencies but I do know they have a major impact on sound. I find even the smallest adjustment can really impact sound (when recording, otherwise it takes less than subtle changes). The midrange seems to control the degree of “fullness” of the sound. The more the mids are cranked up the more hollow the sound; tones have more bite and less boom.

With my Jazz bass I either play with the high/low flat or roll back the low mid to about ¼ position. When playing my fretless Jazz I pull the mids up a bit more allowing the tone of the fretless to really come through. I always have the contour button in, I can't stand that much midrange.

[This message has been edited by blipndub (edited July 28, 2000).]

3. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    A shelving eq is a type of equalization circuit that has a shelf-like characteristic at the upper or lower ends of the spectrum. If you plotted the response on a graph you would get a line (shelf). Hence the term "shelving". A typical low shelving eq might start at say 80 Hz, and would affect all frequencies for 80 Hz and below. On the high side, they usually start around 10 kHz, affecting everything from 10 k and up.

------------------
    RAC