Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the skinny on Line6?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    A bunch of my friends have always used Line6 guitar stuff. No bass equipment experience, but they have been very happy with all the guitar stuff.

Why is it that I can't really find good solid reviews of the Bass Pod Pro xt? I know it is new, but it has been out 7 months. All I can find are some small pieces of info here and there about problems with gigging (but not telling why), and how it sounds better in the studio, how the effects are pretty good, and the modelers are OK. No details. I would like to know more info! What are the problems with gigging? Have people found that they can only use a true poweramp with it, and how well does the biamp feature work? Is the tuner accurate? Is it noisy? Do the models sound anywhere near the originals, or are they at least usuable? How is the distortion? Is the pedal logical? You know, stuff like that. For $700-$900, it needs to be all that I hoped it to be. I read about people who get it and are not satisfied with it, but maybe it will work for others.
    I really want to get rid of my gig bag and keep everything in the rack. I play an Ibanez EDA900 through a GK1001RB 2x10 with optional 15. I currently use a Sansamp BDDI and Boss stomp tuner, and I put them in the rack because they are always left on during the gig. It would be nice to replace the pedals with the line 6. Since the pedal is optional, I don't have to bring it everytime I gig.
    Thanks guys,
    Wes

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Even though you say they've been oput for 7 months they didnt show up in my Guitar Center (where I work) untill the past month or two.

Ive tried it out and I think its a hell of a lot better than the old version with some really nice models. I especially like the one named tube preamp.

That being said, Im not buying one anytime soon.

Peace
    Nick

PS: If you have more, specific questions shoot. Ive played with it quite a bit.

3. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Has anyone had a chance to review the basspodxt pro over the past few months? It seems that people are liking the modelers now, which is great to hear. I guess some of the effects are still a little weird, but that is fine as long as the modeling tone is solid. I still don't know why this isn't a giggable solution if you get the pedelboard? Anyone get some extensive experience with one yet? I have all but ordered the pod and a carvin amp. I am still looking for good reviews.
    Thanks,
    Wes

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have the original Bass POD Pro. I have played the new one. It don't think it sounds any better, but it does offer a different set of models that I would likely use more than some offered on my POD.

I have used it 100s of times live. It works EXCELLENT. Most often I simply plug use it DI and use monitors with no amp at all. For huge venues, with a giant PA and quality monitors, it works perfectly. I could never justify anything else.

I have used it a few times as a preamp with a power head and cabinet. I don't think it sounds exactly like an SM400, but in a loud band mix with the right cabs, I think you'd be hard pressed to figure out which was the real SWR and which was the POD.

The effects sound fine and are usable. They are very limited in that you can't combine, mix or chain them as you choose. The newer model offers a little flexibility in this area, I think.

I trashed a completely jammed 6-space rack for the POD Pro and never looked back. It has been a super workhorse for me.

The EQs are somewhat limited as well. Unless you are into the PC-based deep editing, you'll get much more on a regular preamp.

If you have a decent-sounding bass and are not a tweaker, you'll like the POD. Otherwise, it is probably not for you.

It does sound excellent in the studio as well.

5. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the info. That is the info I am looking for!
    I have a 1990ish Spector active, and I love the sound. I don't tweak on the sound once I find one I like, so this might be perfect for me.
    Do you use a floorpedal in the live application?

Thanks for your lenthy post!
    Wes

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have but do not regularly. I know a guy with a Line6 guitar amp that has the nice, big one. The Floorboard I think. But I could never justify paying $250 for a volume pedal and tuner mute. Of course, it will do much more if you wish. I just don't need it.

Line6 offers a few less pricey alternatives if you want to save your preferred sounds in a bank and simply switch between them. I have a Tech21 MIDI Mouse that works just fine for that.

If you have a sense of MIDI programing, which isn't particularly difficult, any programmable MIDI controller (Berhinger comes to mind) will work just as well for much less.

7. Unfortunately I'm not much of a Line6 fan. Just 3 days out of warranty the output went dead on my Bass Pod Pro. When I sent it in for repair the fix was $30.00, but they told me it hums now. The fix for the hum (that wasn't there previously)? Spend $395.00 on a new power board.

When it gets back it's going straight into the trash. That's the last Line6 product I will ever buy.