What's the smallest Amp head you know of?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gottawalk, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Okay; I've looked through as much as I can and can't find what I'm looking for. I've been working with a couple of guitarists that have REALLY small amps with REALLY big sound. One guy's would fit in a small backpack. Has anyone seen any small bass amps out there with some watts (250 or better)? Some of us are getting a little older and having a hard time "schlepping" gear around these days, but still want that full sound! Show me whatcha got! Lighter weight combos welcome, too. :)
  2. Acoustic Image and Walter Woods. Lot's of threads on these here and in the DB site. The smallest is the AI Clarus SL (I think I have the name correct)... fits in the palm of your had is puts out over 200 watts. The AI Focus is only 4 pounds and puts out 600 watts RMS into 4ohms. The WW Ultra is 7 pounds, smaller than the Focus, 7 pounds and puts out 1,200 watts RMS into 4ohms. All wonderful amps. Watt per dollar... it seems the Focus is it if one of your primary goals is small and light.

The Epifani UL line is the speaker equivalent of these amazing amps.... extremely lighweight... the 112UL, which is capable of doing a moderate sized gig all by itself is under 30 pounds, or right around there anyway. The 310UL is capable of doing virtually any gig and is under 50 pounds.

PS The AI line is about to change to their series III... so you can pick up a Focus for under $1,000 now on close-out.

PSS The Markbass stuff is also very small and light, but last time I looked into it, they did not have a US distributor. I'm sure that will change. The Little Mark is close to the size and weight of the heads mentioned above
  3. Lots of info here! :D Thanks! (What! Did you have this all typed up and ready to go the instant this type of question came up? You're fast!!!)

Thanks again. Time to start processing all this.
  4. One of my TBer friends has accused me of being a 'typist'! I am pretty quick.

Other TBers will chime in here with info also. There are a lot of moderately sized, great sounding amps that are reasonably priced (Eden550, Thunderfunk550, etc.). These amps are great also, but if you are really looking small, that smallest Acoustic Image is an amazing little box... I think it's about 2 pounds!!!! Again, though, if small is key and you don't want to break the bank with the Walter, the AI Focus is truly amazing.

Good luck on your search!

5. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    How much power do you need and how much are you willing to spend? What type of music are you playing?
  6. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    The latest Mark Bass is something like 500 Watts RMS for 6 pounds of weight, you can carry it in a laptop bag.

I'm thinking of getting one instead of the lump of a Marshall i have to cart around! ;)
  7. Mesa Boogie's Walkabout head is pretty small and light, 'bout 12"x12"x3" or so and about 13 pounds.
  8. I don't have details but the Phil Jones Briefcase came to my mind.
  9. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    well teh smallest i have seen is the Crate PowerBlock
    its 3.2"x10"x5.6" and 4.6 lbs
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    KJ nailed all the ones that i take note of.

also, i just saw that Ashdown developed the "Superfly". a measily 250 watts @ 4 ohms, but the EQ section looks mighty powerful, and i'm a fan of the ashdown sound.
  11. I mentioned 250 watts or better. I'm doing jazz in an 8-piece, some jazz combo work occasionally, and I'm in a blues trio (me, drums, guitar/singer). I play small to medium venues, (I know; that's a little vague). Right now my head's 300 watts @ 4 ohms, and I also have a combo that's 75 watts for backup. I suppose that something inbetween would work. So I suppose 200 watts or better. Any larger venues I might be in are usually through a PA, anyway. Just need stage sound there.

"Now you know... the rest of the story!"
  12. Hey! Finger dexterity is our life :bassist: !
  13. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Was just gonna mention the Superfly, you're right about the eq though, looks handy.
  14. I'll have to check out that Ashdown. I keep hearing good things about that stuff.

Given the type of music and the type of venues the originator of the thread posted, I'm feeling even better about recommending the Focus 1 (the single channel, 600 watt into 4ohm model).
  15. Those are definitely not happening IMO. :rollno: Very thin sound, and very, very , very questionnable quality and fit and finish (although they are also very, very cheap!).
  16. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Ok, they aren't bass amps...but freakin' cool none the less.
    Zvex Nano Amp World's smallest production guitar tube amp.

zvex Impamp The World's smallest vacuum tube stereo power amplifier.

Check out the demo videos...pretty sweet.
  17. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    my Yamaha bbt500h is 10lbs and 500watts for $600
  18. I just started looking at the Focus on line; amazing! It's pretty incredible what can be done these days. Have to find the right cab to compliment it, though.
  19. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    If you're serious about the Focus you need to wait til the new model comes out real soon. For cabs check these:

I have the 1x15 and it weighs 27lbs.
  20. Smokey amps

it will actually power a 4x12 cab for a strong 5 minutes.