Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"What's the Song of Your Town?"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Jan 27, 2003.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Over in O.T. there's a thread going about beauty, and what it means to you individually. Music is of course, part of all things beautiful.

I digress...Even though I am not from New York. My contention is that there is one song that IS NewYork...City, that is. In all its history and stature, majesty, and tragedy.

That song is George Gershwins' "Rhapsody in Blue".

Do you know of a song that is your towns' song? Not University fight songs, and the like. But is there a song that puts your place on the map?

2. oh i love that dirty waterrrrr...
    Boston you're my home!
    buh DUM dum dum DUM da Dum
    buh DUM dum dum DUM da Dum

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    To me, Joe Jackson's "Stepping Out" is the epitome of NYC. It reminds me of my NYC days and nights. Also, "Native New Yorker" by Odessy, as well. As for Atlanta, who the hell knows? Bad Company did a song about her, but it doesn't seem like THE song.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

An old standard: "Moon Over Miami"

5. Sweet Home, Chicago!

or

My kinda town, Chicago is.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My "hometown" is Corry, PA... so I guess our song would go a little something like this

*blows on a pitch pipe*

OhhHhhHHhhHhhh, Corry with your vast majestic bars. Teenage pregancy and the park. Ohhh, Corry. You have a Wal*Mart noooowwwwwwwwwwwWWWwWwwwww.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Don't go back to Rockville
    Not really my home town but Rockville is about 20 minutes away

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Brighton has a whole double album - the Who's "Quadrophenia"!!

But I always think of our song as "Sussex by the Sea" - it is the tune which is always played as Brighton & Hove Albion football club take to the pitch!! ;)

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There are many songs that define Detroit as well.

"Papa was a Rolling Stone"
    "Cloud Nine" both by the Temptations

"Kick Out The Jams" MC5

"Trouble Man" by Marvin Gaye (this song is recorded so beautifully. Hey record execs: DO NOT RE-MASTER THAT SONG, OR I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN!)

"Inner City Blues" Marvin Gaye

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I Left My Heart in San Francisco
    Sittin By the Dock of the Bay

Note: I no longer live there but I still consider it my home.

12. for most folks, "hail to the chief"

for me, fugazi's "waiting room"

13. California Dreamin

That song says it all. Course you could also go with Randy Newmans "I love LA" or Bob Segers "Hollywood Nights" but I'd rather not.

To me, NY's song should be Jerry Rappoports "Baker Street". Gotta love that sax. Gives off a big city type of vibe.

14. I was born in Boston, MA and have lived all over New England. But the one place I consider my home, Hamden CT, has a song...personally, I think "1959" by Spring Heeled Jack exemplifies Hamden the best.

15. I'm guessing Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands or ARS - Doraville

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    LOL!! I live in Doraville!

17. Larne's is definitely Therapy - Stop It You're Killing Me (I live just outside Larne).

18. "Goin' to Kansas City", or titled just "Kansas City". Who doesn't know that song?

My other town is Chicago, but of all the songs about that town, for me "Lake Shore Drive" is my favorite, by Alliotta Haynes......

19. We will try not to hold that against you! :D
    Too many police in Doraville with nothing to do, they certainly have a reputation.