Whats the sound difference between a fretless and a freted?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aleyman, Dec 23, 2002.

1. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    Well, i was in a store, and was playing with a fretless. I loved the feel of it. But i didn't hook it up to an amp (why?i don't know) so i was wondering what the sound differences are. I play more of a rock/punk type stuff. Would a fretless be good for this?should i just stick with my precision? Also, i've been saving up for a custom made, and i wanted to get some flame inlays at the bottom. Do inlays only work on a fretless? Ok thanks a lot!
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh,, i guess you COULD get inlays if it was a custom job,,, why? i have no idea. the sound diffreances? to a search, remember the whole "there's no frets so you have to be right on the mark". And for punk? i would not think so, but hey, you can make anything work if you want to. Next time, hook it up to an amp so you can tell the sounds of fretless VS Fretted.

If you don't want to spend alot of money on something you don't know you will like, check out essex basses, they sell a VERY cheap, GOOD fretless.
  3. Personally i dont remember anybody that plays rock/punk that used a fretless. But im sure somebody will prove me wrong. I wouldnt use it for those genre's though.
  4. the guy from catch 22 plays fretless.
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    It's deja vu all over again!