Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the sound difference of flatwound and roundwound strings??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brink22, Jan 19, 2004.

1. brink22

brink22

Oct 5, 2003
    I have a fretless Fender Jazz Bass currently with flatwound strings on them. I like them because you don't get any resistance on your fingers when sliding... and everything is a lot smoother.

But what about the sound? Do (standard) roundwound strings have a much deeper and brighter sound?

2. They are a lot brighter. Nickle strings tend to have cirsper lows and more defined mids, and stainless steel tend to have crisper highs and more growl.

3. You could like the sound of roundwounds better.. I think they bring much more mwah than flatwounds.. but I have few experience with flats. I also prefer the feel of roundounds on both of my hands.

Maybe you should try them on your fretless someday.

4. Warhawk

Warhawk

Jan 31, 2003
    Canton, Ohio
    Rounds are really bright sounding when new but get dull fairly fast. Flats are a little bright sounding when new but have a mellow sound that stays after initial break in.

I have a set of Rotosound flat-wounds on my P-bass that sound great after 6 months. I'll be leaving them there until I break one.

5. W32Hybris

W32Hybris

Jan 18, 2004
    south Florida
    if you have a fretless use flatwounds ;)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I also prefer the feel of roundwounds, probably because I'm used to them. To me, flatwounds feel either too slippery or too sticky, depending on humidity.

I keep a set of flats on one of my basses just for variety. I only use it to gig with my country band, though.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For those of you with just one bass, I recommend stringing it with rounds. That's because it's not difficult to make roundwounds sound like flatwounds, but it's extremely difficult to make flats sound like rounds!

8. Originally posted by Flatwound.

[​IMG]
    Treena