1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the story behind my Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowpro, May 3, 2010.

1. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Pictures tomorrow if I remember but basically I have an old Spector. From what I've asked a few years ago (Got an email from Stuart himself unless everyone else gives the same tailing signature)

He said the bass I have is and old 89 Spector made in the Czech Republic.

notable differences from other basses are that it:

Uses EMG P/J setup (pre tonepump)

Dot inlays

A different headstock emblem; instead of the current inlay this one is an inlay that looks more like the SSD are linked together instead; they're well defined letters rather than the stylized current emblem.

Truss rod cover is on the headstock; it in under this that the ID for the bass is.

Body has more rounded sides; not edges like the current cheaper Spector Legend bodies. It also has a bit of a depression in the back (perfect for my growing gut)

So, what era/timeline was my bass manufactured? Were standards then up to standards now?

One reason I ask is because for the longest time I've been wondering if I have to replace the brass nut; my G string is so darn close to the side of the neck that I pull it off the neck often. MUCH more than any other bass I have. I wanted to know if this is something all the basses have had or if this has been a bit of a custom/post production mod. I don't have any personal history on the bass since I bought it used a long time ago.

2. brett7276

brett7276 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    what you have is the first run of SSD euro spectors. They usally had and aguilar or emg preamp in them. Mine had EMG. I like them better than the current euros with the exception of the neck- the neck on mine was a tad chunky. But the overall construction was better it was built much closer to the specs of the real deal US NS-2s. (NS-2s were NS4's at the time even though they had PJ pickups) the SSD was Stuart SPector Design and was before Sturat leagally had reaquired the "Spector" trademark. Great bass...parts for it should be obtainable still from spector. Contact PJ Rubal

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Those SSD Czech basses started around late 94/early 95. No not 89 for any Czech/Euro, because Kramer still owned Spector in 89. I bought one of the first ones that was about serial 14. Then I got another one less than a year later.
    Yes those were an awesome bass, much better than todays LX version. All of those 90's models had EMG preamps, and the first few years had the dot inlays and the SSD logo and truss cover. Then in 98 Stuart got the rights back to his Spector name and so the basses got the crown inlays and Spector truss covers, and they still used EMG preamps. The Aguilar preamps didn't come in until 01/02.

4. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    I ordered a Spector from their dealer here in Louisville 10 years ago. The order got held up and I asked them where it was, and finally I get a call at my desk at work. It's Stuart Spector himself, apologizing because he had to take the bass intended for me to a show in Germany, and he was having another one made & shipped to my dealer as soon as possible.

He's a very customer-oriented guy. It's no wonder he wanted his company back from Kramer -- I'm sure he just feels like a bass with his name on it ought to have his reputation behind it. And he's absolutely deserving of the reputation. I have no doubt it was Stuart who emailed you.

I love the sound of my Spector, recorded a whole CD with it, but I can't play it onstage. It is too heavy for me (which is surprising given how small the body is compared to say my Jazz basses). I forget what the wood is but it must be really dense.

5. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Well that's cool to hear; I need to brush up on the history of Spector.

Does anyone know if there was a G-string problem where the nut was spaced farther off the neck than usual? Measuring off the 12th fret:

My Czech Spector has a 3mm distance from its current position to the side of the neck (which is why I pull it off a lot)

My Rebob is 5mm by comparison

My Stingray is a whopping 6mm.

And my TRB is also 5mm

Anyone know if this is something that's fixable or if it's actually manufactured with that little amount of space.