Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the story on Jaco Pastorius?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nirvanarules28, Mar 7, 2001.

1. nirvanarules28

nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    I don't know much about Jaco, so post some info if you want. Like who's he played with before, or if he was solo or whatever. And whatever else there is to know about him. I've heard he's pretty good, so tell me why if you think he is.

2. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    jaco was the Michael Jordan of bass guitar in his peak.get his self-entitled album jaco,also chk out pat mentheny's bright light album,and the weather report stuff with him playing of course.there's also a book out by bill milkowski that's very informative.
    jaco and jamerson taught every electric bass player how to play.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  4. Or you may want to check out the official Jaco Patorious web page.

http://www.jacopastorius.com/home.shtml

It just open a couple months ago and is still under construction, but it still has a lot of great info.

Sorry, I had the web page listed incorrectly. It should work now.

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    He just look in any dictonery and look up bass player i think you will see a pic of him!hehe or he might be in the bible some place! He is THE bass player!

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Yeah....I would say that he was..."pretty good"....;)

7. what happened to that website that was totally dedicated to Jaco. It was put up a few months back. About the time BP mag had him in the magazine.

8. nirvanarules28

nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    I downloaded some of Jaco's stuff...... man, he is awesome! He probably is in the dictionary beside bassist, or maybe beside best bassist, but i guess that's just a matter of opinion. I dont think he's the best bassist, I would have to say either Les Claypool or Victor Wooten or Flea is the best. I don't think I could choose a #1 bassist, they are all superb musicians.

9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I have a feeling that if you told vic or flea that you thought they were better that jaco they would probably laugh then might slap ya! They probably learned everything they know from that man!

10. drbottom

drbottom

Mar 7, 2001
    Manchester, CT
    Check out Victory Bailey's tribute to Jaco on his Low Blow Album.

Victor Bailey, who replaced Jaco in Weather Report, transcribed a Jaco tune and put words to it. Its a little strange, but it shows the impact Jaco had on the bass world.

As Bailey says about Jaco, "not the chops...the melodies..."

PS Victor Bailey is right up there with Wooten, Miller, Flea and Lee...Check him out!

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    just my 2 cents

I love his stuff with Joni Mitchell

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Joni's Shadows And Light live album blows me away; as does Heirja, Mingus, etc.

13. Dont get me started!!!! Actualy, I could go on about Jaco for hours, but it can be summed up by two famous bassplayer quotes.
    The first, I think it's credited to Rich Appleman, the head of bass studies at Berklee. "Jaco opened the door, and we all walked thru".
    The second, I think is credited to Sting. "there's bass before Jaco, and bass after Jaco".

You will find that most name players owe their being, either directly, or indirectly to Jaco. I'm not just talking about technical ability, but bringing the bass from the back of the band to the front.