whats the story... on MTD kingston fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pesci1313, Jan 27, 2002.

1. so i own an MTD beast, which they now happen to be discontinued, and i love my bass. great bass, and i enjoy the mtd kingstons i've played as a guitar store near me carries them often. but, i've never played a fretless of a kingston, and i believe that i'd like to get a fretless, and already know the feel of the kingston and enjoy it, but how are the fretless ones? good tone? would an mtd heir be better with the jazz pickup too? this is an interesting consideration, let me know if you've had experience with these basses.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

While we are on the subject, I have recommended a K5 fretless to Uforia, but like pesci, can't find one to play. Can anybody tell me what an phenolic board is most like, tonally? Ebony, rosewood, or a hard poly finish? If it is like a hard poly finish tonally, that would be the one sound that my Zon can't get, and I could point that out to her(;)) so that we could both use the Zon and the K5.
  3. Uh, using me as an excuse for you having GAS.:D :p
  4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I might be mistaken but I don't think that the Heir is avalable in a fretless version at this time.
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Tough to compare the phenolic to other boards without all other factors being equal, so take that into account:
    I'd say my GT7f w/ phenolic board is tonally more akin to my Pentabuzz w/ diamondkoting. It has a 'sharper' tone, more highs than my ebony boards, to a slight extent. It's not a huge difference from ebony, but I'd say I notice more hi-mids and hi's.
    here are the basses I'm comparing to, if that helps any.

I wish I knew how much of the tone has to do with the FB as opposed to the woods, p'ups, strings, etc.
    It's so hard to say exactly what's impacting the tone the most.

I believe I also heard that the Heir isn't available fretless.