Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's the story on this body style?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Sep 13, 2004.

1. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I got this pic from Scott French's site after reading one of his threads. What's with the body coming way out towards the neck? I know this is custom built by Scott but I'm seeing more and more of this body style. Embellisher has this style body on the bass in his avatar. I'm just curious.

[​IMG]

2. It's a single-cutaway. That's the name of it. Made popular by Anthony Jackson and Fodera years ago. It's seen a resurgence in recent years. They're quite popular now. I love the looks of them, some hate it. Seems that there is no middle ground on that.

Most luthiers agree that it doesn't have a significant impact on tone. Mostly aesthetic.

EDIT: Of course, that is all debatable. Just thought I would cover myself on that. :D

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, the singlecuts seem to be enjoying some popularity right now. I don't care for them much myself, but some people absolutely love them. Choose for yourself.

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    There was the telebass and the les paul before these came around either way. People seem to forget those are single cuts, simply they are a little more modest in their design.

5. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    For what it's worth that design just came from taking half my acoustic guitar design and half of one of my electric guitar designs and putting them together. Tweak a few lines and that's it. I've never been a huge fan of singlecuts either. I just like how those parts fit together though so that's how it went down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. I love that body style Scott! I have to see a completed 5er in that shape though, I find most singlecuts look better with more strings.

I also just noticed Carson McWhirter's on your site. That guy's everywhere! He's a great player.

7. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    +1
    I think that 6 or 7 string singlecuts are the best looking! :hyper:

8. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    He's been a bro of mine since high school. His cousin introduced me to him, and through it's him I met Legs On Earth/Hella. Now I'm working on a Guitar for Spencer from Hella that's going to be crazy.

It's cool people know who he is... (Hella too I hope) I went down with him when he put the down payment on his Warr Guitar and he was already a pretty good player then. Years later he's become one of my favorites and those guys collectively are some of the best players I've ever known. I feel pretty lucky to have met them.

9. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Man, Scott, I wish I would've known of your SF-1 before I bought the bass I'm waiting for. If anything goes wrong with shipping I'll definitely be calling you. Awesome work. Congratulations on your luthier....ism.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And of course those owe a debt to acoustic guitars, some of which have had a single cutaway for far longer than electric guitars have existed.

What the modern singlecut basses do is give you something that a Les Paul or ASAT(Tele) bass can not. An instrument that is a single cutway, which also balances perfectly.

I used to GAS for a Les Paul bass with a cherry sunburst and a flamed maple top. So pretty! Then I borrowed one from a friend for a couple of gigs. He warned me that there were balance issues, and most people couldn't deal with the fact that they were so neck heavy.

Man, was he ever right! I thought a Gibson Thunderbird or RD Artist were neck heavy. They didn't have jack on a Les Paul.

11. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Les Pauls neck heavy? That statement is far too general. There are dozens of Les Paul models, and only some are neck heavy. I have never tried a Les Paul Custom that was neck heavy for example, and my Les Paul Artist is just HEAVY, but balances perfectly (no doubt because of the heavy brass Sustainer Block under the bridge and huge Moog on-board electronics).

Some Les Paul models with light bodies are neck heavy, but usually when people think of Les Paul, they think of Custom or Standard...these balance well.

12. Brooks - do you mean LP guitars, or basses? I think they were talking about the LP basses.

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Oops..I meant Les Paul Guitars...never tried an LP bass.

14. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    :p This is a BASS forum ;)

15. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Now that is one of the few singlecuts I've ever seen that appealed to me.

Nice work. Very organic, not too over the top. I like it.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As others have said, I was referring to the Les Paul bass models, and the ASAT bass as well.

I have played plenty of Telecaster and Les Paul guitars that weren't neck heavy.

17. Ahh yeah, I know Hella too (well I don't KNOW them, I know the music). When you do finish Spencer's guitar, be sure to post it here somewhere so we can check it out!