What's the technical name of the Alembic/ Warwick bridge style?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

And here on a Jaydee.

Of course, ona guitar it's a Tune-o-matic, but I was wondering if there's a bass term for it.

While we're at it, what are the advantages and disadvantages of this design (history?) and what models are available? I know some makers put a piece of brass under the string adjusters and I'd like to hear about that as well. Thanks!
  2. I've always understood it to be a "flying" bridge. I would imagine it's historical origins come from the violin.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

So, if a bassist wanted to have a bass custom made with that feature, is that what he'd ask for, a flying bridge?
  4. Or you could just show them that pic and I'm sure they'd get the idea! :D
  5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I've seen them called dual tension bridges from Warwick, and Cort called it a Fortress Bridge.
  6. Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    is it not just a two-piece bridge?

i didnt know there was a technical term
  7. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    On an archtop, it's a trapeze bridge.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    A trapeze bridge is slightly different...look at the early Les Paul, and you'll see the trapeze, it has an almost triangular piece that connects to the bottom of the bass near the strap pin. These are closer to the tune-o-matic and stop tailpiece...
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    "Two-piece" and "split bridge" are the most common, to my limited knowledge. Also among treble guitars, whereas the Tune-o-matic is a trade name...
    And, if my eyes are sharp enough, it may also be of interest to indicate that you want "locking saddles".

Pros: freedom of design, both for the bridge and the body.
    Cons: price, need more bolts.