1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

whats the the most growly throat punching bass out there? (metalheads dream)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Archangel_Bass, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    so the story goes i listen to metal, play it, love it. i dont always stick to one genre by any means but for the most part i play a good bit of metal. so anyways im currently looking to get a real growly bass with tons of tone, good quality, and that throat punching attitude. ive got an older bolt on model ibanez srx 5 string, would prefer to find a higher quality bass.

2. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Yamaha attitude :)

3. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Spector Euro LX.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Unfortunately every buzz-word in your explanation will vary from bass player to bass player. What's great to one is horrible to another and no two player hear 'tone' as the same thing.

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Pretty much anything through the right amp. Now what's the right amp...:)

6. It all comes down to how you play the bass, there is no ultimate metalbass IMO. Sure having hot pickups would help but good eq and attack are the key. That being said I'd say a rickenbacker

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    You have to try Spector. A Euro LX or a Rebop.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    MM Stingray and Thumb B.O. come to mind

9. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    My avatar Dingwall Z1, Ken Lawrence Brase I and MTD by far

10. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    haha moment of clarity. im pulling an ampeg svt 4 pro with an 810e cab ( plus another of the same on the way) love the amp, so im looking for a very versatile quality bass with powerful pickups, preferably a neck thru, bright tone but with clear powerful bottom, price isnt an issue, just looking for some suggestions to start my test list, and i dont really trust company websites to tell me the quality of their products. they are trying to make sales after all. if you sould throw in the rough price of your suggestion it would be much appreciated

11. EMG equipped all maple neck through Spectors dish out some of the meanest tone around. After spending a few months with my C tuned NS2A I'm convinced that it's the tone for me. Now I need the same thing for my main 5 string so I'm looking for an early millennium NS5CRFM to replace my already awesome MTD Grendel 5. I read a saying somewhere online that Spectors are pit bulls and the rest are poodles. While I don't totally take that as gospel, I can certainly understand why alot of folks would feel that way ;)

Edit: forgot to mention that the NS5CRFMs go for between $500 and $900 depending on condition, etc.

12. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    MM is so heavy its like a fat drunk chick falling down stairs.. its metal as hell. i love mine!!

but i also love my hollow body and my p copy.. so what do i know

13. Roscoe! Done!:bassist:
    Fishheadjoe

14. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI

15. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    have you ever bent a note on a ric.. so thin.. other than that they sound amazazing

16. G&L L-2000.... through an SVT!!

17. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Sounds like you want a Ric. I mean..****ing Kilmister and Burton played em....what more do you need?

18. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    If you want an active bass I'd go either Musicman (Stingray or Sterling - your choice) or Warwick Thumb.

If you want a passive bass I'd go with a P-Bass if you want a thick thumpy bottom, or a Rickenbacker if you want to play more "lead style" bass.

19. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Warwick Thumb B.O.

20. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    +1