What's the Time Signature?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Stickk, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    I wrote a song last night (mostly in 10/4), and I can't quite seem to count the chorus. It goes 4 quarter notes, an eighth note, 4 quarter notes, a sixteenth note, 4 quarter notes, an eighth note, 4 quarter notes, a sixteenth note, and four quarter notes, a sixteenth note. Anyone know what this time sig is?

2. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    It's not ONE time sig, but about 3 or 4. Your best bet is to look for the heavy downbeats, divide it up that way, and then count beats between them to figure it out.

What you described could be 2/4, 5/8, 2/4, 9/16, and so on...

3. well, to be sure, record it and post a link in here. looks like 9/8 2/4 9/16. but i'll have to hear it to be sure

4. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Should a bar of 9/8, a bar of 17/16, a bar or 9/8, two bars of 17/16.

5. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Thank you.

6. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I wouldn't necessarily call it 9/8 as that implies complex time, as in 3 beats of 3/8. Without hearing it and judging by Stickk talking about it as 4 quarters and an eighth, I would assume that we are talking about duple time.

Depending on how your smaller subdivisions are phrased with the 4 quarter notes, you could literally write it as 4/4, 1/8, 4/4, 1/16, and so on.

7. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

^^^ gets it.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021