Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the use of Parametric EQ in your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Call me old fashioned but I'm a firm believer in passive electronics in a bass and that the diversity in sound should come from the player rather than coming from difficult EQ in one's bass.

And I'm saying this as a big fan of Jazz and fusion and let's not forget that This guy
    [​IMG]
    ...also plays a passive bass with only one pickup and his bass doesn't even have pots, he uses a volume pedal.

http://www.fodera.com/gallery/21.htm

And don't even think of saying anything bad about him...

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I saw him at NAMM last winter and he completely blew me away. WOW.

3. Did you actually have a question, or were you merely intending to insult everyone with an active bass?

Mike

4. ridiculous. this is an issue of taste, not one of belief.

"i'm a firm believer that caramel is better than hot fudge on a sundae."

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats comming form a guy who's main bass is passive.

(Correct me if Im wrong.)

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Whats the use of power windows on a car, the winding variety work just fine?

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    like mike said, where's the question?

you prefer passive basses, that's fine. I do love the sound of a good passive bass, but I prefer active for live use.

Also, if you extrapolate from your argument, why have eq on your amp? Why have an adjustable bridge? Why have different string types? these things all affect the sound, how is that different from onboard eq? It's all about getting the sound you want, that expresses the music in your soul. If you do that with a passive bass or an active bass with 4 band eq, what's the difference?

Also, onboard eq doesn't have to be parametric.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a Rick and a Warwick thumb NT. I used to be a passive guy all the way, but this wick is amazing. The Eq seems to change the tone and the feel of the tone rather than just amplifying a frequency. It's a peice of art.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's the most obvious question... what does parametric have to do with this?

Do you know what it is?

:meh:

BTW a volume pedal is a foot operated pot:D

On the bass, on the floor... same difference.

10. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    your sound is going to hit a pre-amp either on your bass or on your amp, it doesn't really matter which way you do it. whatever one prefers

11. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm a passive guy and I'm still going to have to side with everyone else in saying that YOU'RE ON CRACK. I'm a big fan of Mike Gordon. He uses active and sounds great. He also uses a passive bass at times and sounds great. It's the player, not the instrument. No more whining about active basses.

12. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    personally, Im a passive guy but I do have an active just in case I need the extra push, but it is a taste thing not a priority thing.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The implication is that the use of EQ takes the player out of the equation. That's just silly: it's the same kind of Luddite thinking that causes people to say "four strings is enough for anybody".... and clearly that isn't true for AJ. AJ is a great player regardless of how many strings he uses, and regardless of whether or not his bass has EQ.

I own both active and passive basses, and use 'em equally at gigs. Onboard EQ can be useful, and it's certainly more convenient than tweaking amp EQ.

14. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Caramel is better on a sundae, but I do like an onboard eq because you can alter your tone so quickly, really convient. Active or passive I don't really care, both sound great to me, and i'd use both.