Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the warmest, punchiest all solid state amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moondog, Mar 1, 2003.

1. I'm looking for a very clean powerful amp. I like the warmth of tubes but don't really like the "sponginess" . On the other hand, most solid state amps sound really brittle to my ears.
    I don't really like hybrids like SWRs, prefer the super fast response of a ss preamp. I also like very simple controls. I'm definitely not a parametric guy.

Unfortunately I can't afford a Glockenklang.

Any suggestions? Thankss!!!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Ashdown MAG series

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Ditto,2001RB or 1001RB.....

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Amplified Music Products BH-420... if you can find one used.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    gallien-krueger!!!

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Have you tried the EBS solid state equipment?

brad cook

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I haven't played every SS head out there, but I definitely prefer the Carvin RedLines to G-K or Ashdown. Just my $0.02, though. I've played the EBS 350, and I thought it was a terrific head, but it didn't strike me as that warm. It would be a killer slapper's head, certainly.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i concur! i have a BH-260 and it is quite nice.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Glockenklang Heartcore

11. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    ..just replaced my Trace Elliot GP12SMX with a mint used EBS-1v1 for less than $300 .. I can safely say that I'll never want to play through my TE again! Although the filter section is quasi-parametric I wouldn't say it's hard to get a good sound out of it. Not too "brittle" either IMHO, superb punch and bottom when needed. Still waiting to try out the new GK 2001RBP though.

--
    Mikko

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Gallien- Kreuger!:bassist:

13. Or Ashdown . Two warmest SS amps I've ever heard . I'd take one over an SVT anyday .

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Ampeg SVT200T. If you can find one used. They never should have stopped making them :(

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The HD350 is pretty damned clean and powerful!:D That's where my vote goes...

16. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I played the EBS HD350 and found it to be very clean and articulate. I agree that is would be a great Slappers or jazz players head. but I would not define the sound as 'warm' by any stretch.

My Vote for warm and puchy goes to Ashdown. I played both the EBS and Ashwdown Mag heads through the same speaker on the same day. No contest for warm and punchy. The winner was Ashdown by a mile.

As always, your mileage may vary.

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'll tell you what, I've had an opportunity to hear the EBS HD 350 and the Genz Benz GBE 400 side by side. Both are solid state and have similar power ratings. I liked both. The Benz sounded warmer to my ears and would be my choice if I were choosing between those heads. The same store had some Ashdown heads which I also liked but there was just something about that Benz option that worked for me more. More than the GK option also but that's just me. ;)

18. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    "I like the warmth of tubes but don't really like the "sponginess" . "

I use tube preamps with Stewart power amps and don't experience any "sponginess". The Demeter VTBP-201DBL is one of the most dynamic preamps available and very few SS amps or preamps come close to the beautiful clean tone.

The RBI is the best sounding SS preamp that I've tried. It sounds very much like a tube preamp and is inexpensive to boot.

Chuck