1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the warmest sounding Preamp pedal you've played?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AngelCrusher, Feb 15, 2016.

1. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I love a nice warm tone - like a Jazz bass that bumps a little in the low end while you use your fingers to create the snap in the high end.

Currently use the Sadowksy pre which can get pretty warm if you roll off the high end, but it has no mid control.

Is the Fodera outboard pre the way to go here? I have a feeling it is one of the best for what I want, but maybe there are some new pedals I am missing out on. Feel free to share.

Just for the record, I owned a Tonehammer and while it was pretty warm, something about it was not what I'm looking for. I know it is a popular suggestion here.

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Do you need a DI in your pre? Or ok without one?

A few ideas -

Hudson Broadcast, Johnk/Frank Appleton Transboost, FEA Growler (I just discovered this one), anything by sfx, Rusty Box...

3. Broughton P15!!!

JackANSI likes this.
  4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I can't say I have ever played one even though I have owned one for over 9 months...

:(

5. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Ok Awesome I need to look a lot of this stuff up. I know the Rusty Box, that is more of a distortion box I think right?

I don't need a DI, that is a bonus, but not a need.

6. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    Recently, I've been discovering the possibilities of the JHS Colour Box and it's an awesome preamp.
    It might not suit your needs though.
    I always relied on my amp to do the tone shaping/boosting at line level job a preamp does because I just need something transparent.
    You shouldn't discount an overdrive. Some of them, with the Drive at minimum can be very effective at adding just the right amount of warmth. I've had experience with the Catalinbread SFT for instance.
    Also, maybe what you need is simply an EQ to shape your sound or even a compressor?

7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    It would be really helpful to know what you do need from it. I.e. How many bands of EQ? If any? What features are you looking for? Or is it really for a pedal that you feed a dry or effected signal to and it makes it sound better all around (i.e. Toneshapers)

I have used lots of simple overdrive pedals as preamps / tone shapers. One of the best at this is the Fairfield Barbershop.

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004

Ok that JHS looks really intriguing.

Main thing to know about me is I have been a pro session player for years now. I only do tours as a hired gun and retired from touring full time, so I don't really use an amp at all. That will probably change as I am putting together a fusion project, so at some point I will get an amp, but I'm a big time believe in the DI'd tone. It has made me my money and is super portable.

I basically want a quality active preamp in an outboard box. I have the Sadowsky and it is good but it doesn't have mids and on top of that it sucks them out. I have a passive Jazz bass so mids are important.

I definitely agree about drive, and I have a pretty nice pedal for that. It is the Daring Audio Edge. My main issue with that pedal is that it is pretty aggressive for jazz/fusion, at least what I like to do. I like real nice warm tones so when I solo high on the neck it doesn't get super shrill.

See above, as it may help clarify. As for bands of EQ - Treble mid bass really is nice. Sweepable mids would be awesome. So really Im looking for a preamp like a Bartolini for example, except in pedal form.

9. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I guess our ears are different. The Aggy TH DI is the warmest preamp I've tried yet. I used mine to relieve the sterility of the Ampeg SVT 4 Pro/ 410 HLF rig I used to have. These days I use the Tone Hammer 500 head, so the pedal is kept for back up.

blindrabbit likes this.
  10. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    It's warm but not in the way I prefer. Only way I can describe the sound is it is a little more gooey than I want. It's hard to explain, but the best example of what I like so far is the Fodera pre.

11. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    That makes sense. Aguilar gear is known for being a little darker. I haven't heard the Fodera pre myself so I don't know how it compares.

AngelCrusher likes this.
  12. Bubby Brown

Bubby Brown Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2014
    None
    If you like the Fodera try putting a Lehle Sonic Spark in front of it. It stacks really good and brings a dynamic thickness to what it sits in front of.

NonDJ likes this.
  13. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Warmest I've tried is the Eden Glow Plug. Given it has an actual tube in it.

OldPlucker likes this.
  14. NonDJ

NonDJ

Jul 6, 2013
    Knoxville TN
    I agree, I often use the Carl Martin Tube Drive pedal like this. With the gain at a very minimal setting and onboard eq it does a great job.

15. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    I guess I should clarify that I want an outboard pedal to give a passive J the option to sound like a super j. The reason I don't just use my Sadowksy pre all the time for this reason is I want a midrange option and I'd like to boost the treble a touch while retaining some warmth and not having the mids cut. That's really what I am looking for.

16. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    I think this should fill the bill:
    LEHLE

JCooper likes this.
  17. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    3Leaf Enabler.

Marial likes this.
  18. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Awesome. Now we are talking. Thanks!

19. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    DHA preamps (number of alternatives but my VT2 Standard eq just sounds great.)

20. Rneckties31

Rneckties31 Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Warmest? Probably a two notes le bass. That thing sounds amazing.

CharlieC and JCooper like this.