1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the weird Snap/crack noise?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MEKer, Mar 27, 2009.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    OK------Laney half stack (300 watts, 4x10)-----sounds great, not a lot of mileage on it, but notice when volume is at about 5 or up. and am using phaser/flanger mix, that I get a loud snap or crack sound every now and then, as though the speakers don't like it. I can play with distortion or clean, no problem. Is the phaser/flanger doing some weird push/pull thing on the speakers or what? Anybody have a technical explanation for something like this?:meh:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It might cause a bottoming out of the xmax of your speakers.

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    hmm------you may have something there about the depth. Its after 1AM here so will tweak it down and report back.

4. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I mean I'll tweak it down tomorrow so's not to wake the family. BTW its an MXR Phase 90 and a Boss BF-2 flanger.

5. the engine

the engine Guest

John is probably right, but it could also be some "crud" in the electronics of the pedals. Contact cleaner (I like CRC brand) is a really cheap way to find out. It's probably not a bad idea to hit your gear with some cleaner every now and then anyway. Best of luck!

6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    OK:

1. With no effects: LOUD LOUD LOUD at only on 3 and above (Laney's are loud as hell) : ultra-clean, no break ups/crack snaps but definitely could use a 2X12 with it to share the "loud load".

2. Phase 90 alone: set at a pedestrian 11 o'clock at 3-4 volume get an occasional snap when I dig in hard.

3. With Flanger alone: still an occasional snap at 3+ vol when I dig in hard. It did tame it somewhat when I put Depth at 2 o'clock instead of pegged, Manual at noon, Rate at 1:30 and Res at about 8:45. I of course tweaked the knobs in different positions but pretty much same result: snap (mostly on the G string on D - F area below the octave) starting at around 3 volume which, again, is really loud. Heck, at 6 it is enough to kill termites in the foundation supports.

4. Snap comes quicker running both pedals together.

5. Pedal interiors clean as a whistle.
    6. No snap crack from speakers running distortion pedal loudly.
    7. Certainly should be able to run'em concurrently thru a cab without this annoyance and hint of fear I'm gonna tear a speaker :mad:

= I think its simply the cabinet

8. Maybe use my Laney cab for practicing and get another cab for gigging with the Laney head (which I dig)? If so---what? If I did get another cab I'd go 12's in lieu of 15's.

Hm-whaddaya'll think?

7. It only happens with effects.....batteries good or wall wort putting out good steady voltage (if wall wort try running on batts.). Maybe overloading the amps input?
    Are you using an active bass and overloading the effects pedals (try lowering Basses volume)?

8. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Never even thought of that about overloading amp input. And yes, active bass and I leave the bass volume cranked. Will try lowering the bass Vol and let ya know-thanks for the next step in the investigation! Also, I'd already lowered amp's gain and put on the compression button and also the on/offed the Limiter Defeat with no appreciable effect. I can only hope its the bass volume!

9. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Done! Well of all things it WAS simply the volume of my active bass making the whole problem! The P pup and the J pup both have separate Vol knobs------a quick tweaking and ta-dahh--problem solved at all amp volumes. So it was the bass volume added to the push of the pedals that overdid what the amp wanted to accept at the preamp stage I guess. Jeez-louise! Isn't that always the way--check out everything but the first, most obvious step (in this case). So thank you all for the answers and ultimate solution. You all rock! :)

10. I love simple happy endings :hyper: :bassist: :)