1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the weirdest thing you found in a case/bag pocket after buying a used bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tpaul, Apr 17, 2019.

1. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    If you buy used instruments online, you know this scenario.

The box is delivered. You eagerly open it and pull out a case or gig bag with your new used bass inside. You examine the bass, play it, adjust the action and intonation, maybe install your strings of choice... And finally, when you're satisfied with the bass, you turn your attention to the case or bag it came in.

At that point... What's the weirdest thing you have found in a pocket, left there by the previous owner, that you didn't expect to find?

2. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    Not bass related but I bought an old Randall guitar combo that had a mouse house and a weed pipe inside the cabinet not too long ago

lo_freq_geek, Bobro, Mr_Moo and 3 others like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Condoms in a gig bag.

They were super extra large. I had no use for them. :(

:wacky:

Bobro, TheDayMan, JGbassman and 19 others like this.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Someone left what looked like a camcorder battery in the storage compartment of the gig bag. Nothing outside of that.

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Bought an SKB style SG guitar case directly from a guy, looked in the accessory compartment when I got to the car, found a bag of pot, went back to return it. Had no problem with that, but it was rightfully his, and I didn’t have a medical card for it anyway.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Mr_Moo, bound'n'blocked and McG like this.
  6. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

On the other hand, I bought some Snoop Dog road cases from a place in Burbank, Techno Empire(no affiliation, but they’re cool people)who broker in selling off pro-owned instruments and equipment. First thing they told me was “yeah, we checked the cracks between the foam pieces”.

PWRL, geeza, Mr_Moo and 2 others like this.
  7. Pandastylebass

Pandastylebass The Moon Machine

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    I bought an Aria II Cat bass and in the pocket of the gig bag was two signed Polaroid pictures of the adult film star "Seka" sitting on a man's lap that I assume was the previous owner of the bass.

danesdad, Bobro, bolophonic and 5 others like this.
  8. Not an instrument case, but I bought a cheap suitcase to put cables and stuff in. There was a snap closed compartment in the top that when I opened I found a copy of "Pravda" in Russian. I think the suitcase had come from there.

There was another old thrift store suitcase I'd had for a while. One night I came home from a gig and the light hit it just right and I realized there were gold initials by the handle. I'd never noticed them before. I looked closer and the initials were mine! (PMH) What's the chance of that happening?

Engle, Bobro, TNCreature and 6 others like this.
  9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    wow, i feel so let down. i've never bought anything, music related or not, that had anything in the pockets, between the foam or anywhere else :(

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    25 years ago, my ex’s sister stopped at her apt and asked her to hang on to a small pistol(gun) her dad had given her for protection. She was scared of it. My ex didn't know where to put it so she hid it in her closet in the pocket of a small suitcase. Months later she was in a hurry packing for a biz trip and used the same suitcase forgetting what was hidden inside. Needless to say when she went thru security at LAX, she got arrested. Not a good couple days for her

Bobro, PWRL, Mr_Moo and 3 others like this.
  11. BossOnBass

BossOnBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I once found a really weird smell in a used bass case.

Bobro and Mr_Moo like this.
  12. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    A Gerber diving knife. I guess the previous owner must've spent a lot of time under the C.

13. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I found a dead mouse and its nest inside a Hartke 1x15" cab years. Ago.

Bobro, Mr_Moo and bobyoung53 like this.
  14. One time i bought a pair of train conductor style overalls at a thrift store. When i got them home i found a CN Rail patch in the pocket. Authentic.

Bobro, geeza, Mr_Moo and 1 other person like this.
  15. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Wow, that's cool.

Under the high Cs, indeed!

Mr_Moo likes this.
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

My finds are mostly just musical books and notes, lots of chord sheets. I found a tuner, strap, etc., but never anything odd.

17. Not the previous owner, but the previous inhabitants... noticed a foul oder coming from a Fender case, with black interior. Closer inspection revealed a gazillion mouse turds. Almost did not want to keep the bass. Case immediately went into the trash.

18. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    Condoms in a gig bag.

Were they used?

19. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Seka recorded an album back when she was "popular". I had a copy of it on a picture disc. I might still have it.

Bobro, Mr_Moo and Doctor_Clock like this.
  20. Too small, huh? :smug::laugh::cool:

Only thing I can remember finding was a Sadowsky branded Comfort Strap, and a couple of old pickups. I've made use of all of them.

BnB

Bobro, Mr_Moo and two fingers like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021