What's the wood thing between the pickups on some high end basses?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by theStink, Mar 29, 2014.

  1. Like the title says, what's it called? I've heard they can be made aftermarket and installed with double sided tape. Thinking about modding a bass by doing this.
  2. Brad Johnson

    Brad Johnson Supporting Member

    Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    They're called ramps. Something Gary Willis of Tribal Tech came up with years ago. Lots of info on their function here on TB.
  3. Nathan Peck

    Nathan Peck

    Sep 8, 2010
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar,Sadowsky,SeymourDuncan,KalaUBass,AudioTechnica,Focusrite
    Yeah ramps!
    I'm having one made for my sadowsky 5 string. It makes sense to me because I also play upright and am used to feeling some wood on my fingertips.
  4. zontar


    Feb 19, 2014
  5. I always like an excuse to post a pic of my ramp:

  6. So did you have them made for the bass aftermarket or did it come like that?
  7. Mine came with the ramp. It's removable via double sided tape, but I've never removed it. I likey too much.

    Try the search function in the Basses sub-forum. I've seen lengthy threads there and folks describe how they made theirs or who made them.
  8. OldDirtyBassist


    Mar 13, 2014
    They use tape on those? I'm not sure I like that idea.
  9. Brad Johnson

    Brad Johnson Supporting Member

    Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It works.
  10. Or you could play something like this.

  11. Brad Johnson

    Brad Johnson Supporting Member

    Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Only a bad idea if your finish is weak. I've had at least a couple of dozen personal basses (and seen even more) with two sided clear tape and zero issues. Proper application as usual is key. For instance you don't need tape to cover the entire back of the ramp. It's not load bearing.

    If the tape you're using is super grippy you can make it less so by applying it to the ramp then dragging it lightly over some fabric. That can make it easier to remove later. After removal, use Goo Gone or something similar to remove any adhesive residue and you're back to square one.
  12. so what exactly does it do?
    It's purpose seems to be the same as a number of people I know...
    Just taking up space and using up resources.
  13. It simulates the fingerboard under the strings, like a DB, and most DB players pluck at the end of the fingerboard. It prevents digging in too far under the strings and promotes cleaner technique (IMO) and a lighter touch. If I wanna pluck pop snap, plenty of room between the FB and neck pup for that.

    My baby is currently in the classifieds. :(

    Not a promotion attempt^.