Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats the word in english for

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowtom, Jul 14, 2005.

1. lowtom

lowtom

Jul 12, 2005
    I don´t know the word for this:
    Perhaps someone can help me out with this.

In the past i had a 4 and 5 string ibanez bass. The space between each string is the same of course. If you look down on it!
    I noticed that there is more space between the strings from the 4 string bass, than from the 5 string bass.

My questions is. Whats the word for this space between the strings? I disliked ibanez because of the fact, thats i totally different to play the 4 and 5 string cause of this different "space between the strings" ...

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"String-Spacing" !!!

You can get wide spacings on 5 and 6 strings...another reason you should always "try before you buy" :meh:

3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Yes, "string spacing"

Most 5 string basses are have a 16.5mm string spacing. Some examples of 19mm (like a four string) are:

Lakland, Ibanez BTB, Warwick Streamer Stage I, Fbass, Sadowsky, MTD, Fender Roscoe Beck, Fender Pbass deluxe 5, US Masters and probably some others I can't think of right now...

hope this helps!

4. lowtom

lowtom

Jul 12, 2005
    Thanks ... finally i got the answer i searched for the whole time :)

Well i play status, i don´t know if its the same "string spacing" i hope it will be, i dislike different string spaces, although its the same typ of bass.

I can´t try before buy, cause in austria nobody sells status bass, i need to buy it from the online status shop. hope they will give the right answer.

thanks all!

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Rob and Dawn are excellent to deal with and will happily give you the answers you need, but, all Statuses are 19mm ('Fender' standard) on the 4 strings and 18mm on the 5 and 7 strings.
    The two exceptions are the Kingbass which has a 16.5mm spacing option, and the Buzzard monocoque which I beleive uses the same moulding for all sizes, so more strings, narrower spacing.

Go to Status homepage then Information then Specifications for more detail.

6. lowtom

lowtom

Jul 12, 2005
    thx! didn´t find the information in the first place there!

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    What sort of Status are you ordering?

I have a Series 2000 headless 4 string, which is like the Stealth.

8. lowtom

lowtom

Jul 12, 2005
    i am not sure yet, probably in the next half year i should have the money for it ... but i like status, not just cause of the design, which looks just cool, the sound is unique, i like that active power in it ... but my status is old ... 10 years or something ... electric 4 string, don´t know which type, i thing in these days ago, there weren´t many different status types out there ... it thinks its something between the stealth2 and the classic one ... but im not sure ... its nowhere to be found on the bass itself, what kind of bass it is ... so thats the only information i can give to you ...

i got into status, cause i wanted a bass sound like a piano ... which with the right amp you get the sound if you want and a consistent one with status ...

my problem is i don´t know what the differences in sounds are with the different types of basses status sells nowadays ... if you have any information that can help me just go on :)