Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the word on Acme cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Nov 11, 2000.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just read the posts on 2-10 cabs and saw Capt. Willy talking about the Acme Low B2.

Does any one here know anything about these cabs. The info from the website says that the power handing RMS rating is 350 but the posts alluded that the cab need lots of power to sound good. I'm running 500 watts bridged from my Eden head. Now I never run that head full out but still 500 watts is way over the limit on this.

Bottom line is what is the tone of these cabs? Would you put one up against an Eden 2-10xlt or an SWR Goliath II or a Bag End D10? Where would you rank it?

Thanks in advance,
    Jerry J

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

michaeln who posts on this board used to own a pair of Acme Low B2s, sold them to somebody else on the board. He could give you the best input, but what I've heard, and my limited experience are as follows.

Acme is a true hifi cabinet. Flat response down to 30 hz.

You must understand, this has a trade off. We will get to that in a moment.

The first thing to discuss is the sound. Acme does not have the characteristic lower mid bump that most cabinets do. Now this is part of my sound, so if I bought Acme, I would have to use a lot of EQ to get my sound back. That defeats the whole purpose of having a flat frequency response.

It has been said that Acme let's the true sound of your bass come out, with no coloration. The question is, do you want that coloration that is characteristic of almost every other bass cabinet on the market. I like the coloration, so Acme is not for me.

OK, now for the trade off.

Acme's have a 93 db sensitivity rating. This is the trade off you get for hifi sound in a bass cabinet. You cannot have true hifi sound AND ultra high sensitivity. Well, at least not yet, for under 10 grand anyway.

As an example, a popular 2x10 cabinet is the Eden D210XLT. The sensitivity of this cabinet is 104 db.

To get 103 db out of a low B2, you would need 10 times as much power as you would to get 103db out of the Eden.

So, in theory, to get the same volume out of an Acme Low B2 that you get out of an Eden D210XLT driven with 100 watts, you would need to drive the Acme with 1000 watts.

I know this sounds insane, but I believe that michaeln used to put 600 watts into each of his with no problem, and I've heard guys on alt.guitar.bass talk about driving them with 1000 watt rms amps.

Clean power will almost never harm a speaker, but clipped power, sent to the speaker for too long, even at 1 watt, will kill a driver.

michaeln, are you out there?

And also Joris, for a better technical explanation than my little brain can give?

3. didn't wile e. coyote always try to drop these on the road runner ;)

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As you can tell from the time of this posting, I just came in from a gig and used a borrowed Acme for the first time as
    one of my cabinets. I biamed my Carvin head, (1000W), through it and another cab. WHAT A TONE MONSTER!!! The model is called a "Rumble Seat" and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, including their website, (but that's under reconstruction anyway). It's, bassically, an 8" speaker pointed skyward and it's designed mostly for studio work to produce subharmonics. In fact, the owner said the literature about it says you don't even really hear it. But what a gas!!! I had to check the bottoms of my shoes to see if the soles had shaken off. I gotta get me one. Take a look at Cabinets Reviews @ www-ekls.umass.edu. There's a load of Acme user reviews there.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-12-2000 at 04:05 AM]

5. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    The Rumble Seat is made by Euphonic Audio, the other small, hi-fi inefficient bass cabinet manufacturer.

[Edited by Bob C on 11-12-2000 at 05:19 AM]

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

8. Acme?????
    I thought that only cartoon characters use that brand.I see a lot of acme products on the Roadrunner and Tiny Toons.I thought they only make rockets,tnt,and wings to put on.Maybe we can see coyote playing bass next day
    :)

9. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    There are several threads on Acmes already. I recommend new members just type "Acme" in the "search" category.

But since this one is here, let me say this about my situation: I was enticed by the idea of small (almost tiny?) cabinets giving a big, full range sound. The EA's caught my eye first, then along came the Acme's for a lot less money. For a while, I talked myself into the Acme's even though I've not yet heard them.

There are two considerations - The power issue, and the flat resposnse (do you like it, or not?). I suspect these concerns are present with Bag End, Aguilar, Epifany, etc to varying degrees.

The only way for me to find out which cab is right for me is to try them all. Meanwhile, I keep asking others lots of questions. For a while there, Michael N was my "Acme connection" and chief "unpaid endorser". Now he switched brands.

So on it goes.... that's part of being a bass player.

10. Yeah, but honestly, I agree with Bob C, just put "acme" in the search engine. The subject has been discussed a bunch already and I don't want to type all that in again. ;-)

11. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Sorry - not true. Power is power. A voice coil can handle a certain amount of power - depending on several factors, such as frequency and cabinet loading. A speaker rated to handle 10 watts continuously will easily handle 1 watt of clipped, square-wave power. Just think about a guitar amp driven to full distortion (or via a fuzz pedal). Extended "clipped" or square-type waveforms are easily handled.

On the other side of my argument, a 100-watt "clean" signal can easily fry a 10-watt speaker if applied for long enough to heat the coil to overtemperature. While a little complicated, let's not get confused about this stuff. As a guideline, clipping can yield almost double the RMS power output of an amplifier, and more of it at higher frequencies. For example, a 100-watt speaker can be destroyed by a 75-watt RMS amplifier if driven into clipping for too long. However, the same speaker is unlikely to be damaged by a 45-watt RMS amplifier, no matter how long it is driven into clipping. I hope this clarifies this issue.

- Mike