1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the word on Eden amps these days ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Inconnu, May 9, 2010.

1. They used to be considered great hi-fi amplifiers a few years back, lots of modeling amps and multi-effects unit include an amp model based on Eden but... no one seems to use, recommend, or even like them these days.

So what's the word on Eden these days ?

2. Love them, Use them, Recommend them..
    Had some bad customer service issues awhile back but I have never had an issue.
    The new EX112 speaker looks good but am still waiting on release dates.

3. I just purchased a new WT550 and 210 cab last november. The amp has a lot of white noise. I hear that it's a typical feature of Eden. I emailed them some attitude about it and they're sending me to a legitimate amp technician to get the problem resolved. We'll see. My GK 1001RB-II is much truer to my tone from my experiences so far. Although I hope to change that soon!

4. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    I've been through just about every new amp head on the market with my Berg HT112ER stack and wasn't impressed with any of them. Bought a used WT800B and am now in tone heaven. I have since also picked up a WT400 for portability and am shopping for a Navigator to go with my CA9. The WT800B walks all over the MarkBass F500, TC RH450, Genz Benz 9.0, Mesa Boogie M9, and Euphonic Audio iAmp Pro for tone and power.

5. babsobass

babsobass

Jan 10, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Seems like there just isn't the buzz around Eden like there is around GK, GB, and others have been getting lately. I wonder if they have been saving up some big announcements that we'll be seeing soon?

6. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    http://www.dnaamps.com/ <--- This is a major reason why Eden is just spinning their wheels. David Nordschow has started a new company his new cabs are available for pre order and amps are in the works as we speak. I own a WT550B and run it at 2ohms with a 410XLT and love it both are older.

7. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have both a Eden WT800C & a G-K 1001RBII - both are great amps, but different animals. I really dig the tone shaping capabilities of the Eden.

Currently I'm showing lots of love to the Eden, as it matches up to my D210XLT/D210XST cab stack better to my ears.

But, I'm also very interested in seeing/hearing what David Nordschow comes up with.

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    This is of course your opinion. I sold my Navigator and QSC power amp the moment I heard an M9. I was a huge Eden fan for many years, and used their cabs exclusively since 1998, but like SWR I don't think they have been innovators for many years and other maufacturers have eclipsed Eden in many ways.

To my ears, the Mesa Carbine M9 has more punch, clarity and articulation then the WT800 and completely spanks it volume wise.

9. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    That's of course your opinion. Couldn't get rid of my M9 fast enough. The problem with your Navigator/QSC rig was the QSC. Run a Navigator with a CA9 or Stewart and it's in a totally different league.

10. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I've been using a old model WT-500 (moded to WT-600 specs)
    A real workhorse, love it. Sounds good for everything.
    I use it in bridge mono 8ohms with an Eden 4x10 for bigger gigs & use only half the head (right or left channel ) with an Ampeg 2x10 portabass for smaller gigs.

11. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    It is more powerful but doesn't it weigh more than a 800 and doesn't it have a loud fan that is on at all times?

12. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Seems like alot of their "high profile" endorsers have gone to MarkBass. I remember when you would see a lot of players endorse Eden, then Aguilar, then Markbass (and other companies). Freshness is a commodity in the music world. They're still great but I have noticed a drop in quality since the buyout.

13. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Mine is pre-buy out & has been discontinued for quite a while. I have never tried tried one form after the sold the company.

14. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    I have a '95 WT-500 but would like to get a 800 from around the same period. It was my first bass amp and is still my main amp!

15. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Eden still makes great product, but it's no longer the latest newest stuff, so naturally not as much talk about it. They still have one of the, if not the, best EQ IMO.

M9 vs. WT800 - the M9 will ultimate be louder running the same cab, but the WT800 can run more cabs; this is moot thou, because that will be too loud already for 99.99% of the shows/gigs.

M9 do have noticeably more noise than the WT800.

The WT800 has more punch (lo-mid) which the M9 can also easily dial in with the graph EQ. OTOT, the M9 has more detailed hi-mid / treble which the WT800 can also easily dial back in.

The two weight about the same.

16. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    I have the WT400 (used as back-up or with a 2X10), WT550 (smaller gigs with a 4X10) and WT800B (bigger rooms and/or two cabs). All made in Montrose. I was sold initially on the EQ section and how powerfully sensitive it is. One or two clicks from flat at the selected frequency can make a big difference in tone. I don't use the enhance. The gain control can lend a little grit if you want it. I think it's a great pre-amp and EQ section. The power section doesn't like to be pushed past its' limits, however. Which is why I have different wattages, all with the same pre-amp.

This past weekend I was using the WT550 and I noticed I was losing volume, although there were no warning lights, smoke or smell and the fan wasn't on. After the song was over I asked for a timeout and shut off the amp. Using the 1/4" plug on the patch cable between my wireless and the WT550, I inserted, pulled out and re-inserted it a few times in each of the 1/4" jacks on the back of the amp, cleaning the contacts. In about 30 seconds I was able to power up and play. The amp sounded great after that and all night long. The effects jack especially (and maybe others) have switching contacts which can corrode or even rust if not cleaned now and then. This can be worse on an older amp, of course. So that's something to think about, but it's good to know it can be fixed so easily, or even prevented by periodic maintenance.

17. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    I have a post-buyout Mundelein WT405 and a pre-buyout WT800. Both are awesome. During the factory changeover, the customer service got spotty, but it's now responsive again. Since the Jam buyout of USM, I'm waiting to see what the truly new Eden products will be.

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no clue on cs issues as of late. years ago i had good turnaround with sending in speakers from an original 1987 goliath made by eden for recones. they also sent me the pop in caster kit.

to me the eden sound is the preamp section. not for everyone, but a great preamp. a navigator is on my wish list when i hit the lotto and buy everything!

cab wise i think eden cabs with the tens were it. the original 410t was cool, the 210t and 410xlt sounded a lot alike. the 210xlt was neat but could get a bit artifical sounding. I used one a lot and had a love hate relationship with it.

Seems like DNA will be a thing to watch. David N's a really nice guy to talk to, i'm sure DNA will have some cool stuff. ;)

19. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    They need a better bass player for their demo vid.

20. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I thought almost the same thing..not a better bassist..I thought that guy played really well..but it was a poorly planned demo...