1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats the word on the Schecter Stilleto Custom - 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DudeistMonk, Apr 16, 2009.

1. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I'm in the market for a mid-range 4 string bass, my main (and pretty much only) bass is a Conklin Gt-5 which I love, but its really heavy and the string spacing is way too tight for anything but finger style (Ie: I slap just gets all sloppy, even though my technique is decent) So I'm thinking it's time I expanded my arsenal.

Anyway I've been trying different 4 strings now and again and today I picked up a Schecter Stiletto Custom - 4 and it felt great (the action was just right, the neck felt perfect), it was light as a feather, it sounds a lot like my Conklin (it has EMG's as well) and I can slap on it!

So whats the word on the web, anyone own one of these and wanna give me their opinion? Also I haven't yet played the studio model which is another $150 and looks like it has nicer hardware, 3-band EQ and a thru-neck.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Stiletto-Custom-4-Bass-102042405-i1147947.gc

* Mahogany body with figured maple top
    * Maple/walnut laminate neck
    * Rosewood fretboard
    * Diamond fingerboard inlays
    * Six-bolt neck joint
    * EMG HZ pickups
    * 12dB active EQ
    * S-TEK bridge
    * Black hardware
    * 34" scale neck

Or

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Stiletto-Studio-4-Bass-516752-i1166406.gc

* Neck-thru construction
    * Multi-laminate maple and walnut neck with rosewood fingerboard
    * 34" scale
    * Mahogany body with bubinga top
    * 24 jumbo frets
    * Offset dot position markers
    * EMG-Hz pickiups
    * Master volume and blend controls
    * 3-band EQ
    * Diamond Custom bridge
    * Grover tuners
    * Satin gold hardware

2. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I own the custom and I'm happy with it, the action is really low on mine as you said is really light, the only issue with it imo are the pickups, they seem to be way to "hot" for my taste.

3. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    ^ Thanks

BTW, If it matters to anyone I play in jam band (although we lost our guitar player and now I'm rather bored) so I'm kind of a Jack of all trades...Funk, Blues, Rock...and I'm a groove junky.

and I'll be playing it through a Bass POD > Power Amp > Acme LowB-4