Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the word /opinion on Avatar cabs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chiplexic, Apr 29, 2004.

1. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I see they have Pro Series Eminence speakers in them. 600 watts!!!! They are tuned to 50hz and I'm sure take alot of volume. How would I know from looking at the specs if they are efficient? What is a number for a 15" spec that would indicate efficiency? Are these cabs in the same class as say Peavey,Classic Series Ampeg... and targetting customers in that price range. or Are they actually a step up but are kept affordable due to direct factory shipping ? Because of "No middle man". Is this a hidden jewel or basically another option in the Peavey type class of cab? (not that there's anything wrong with Peavey,I've owned a few)but lets face it Peavey and other companies "more affordable" series aren't tuned and engineered like their top lines. But may still be fine for me.

2. In the GAZILLION posts that have been made about Avatar speakers on these forums over the past 2 or 3 yrs, I've yet to read anything negative.

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i really like mine !! excellent choice of cabs ...
    :D
    CB115 - 600watts @ 8 ohm
    CB112 - 500watts @ 8 ohm :cool:
    check 'em out for yourself ... www.avatarspeakers.com

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I think to find out the info you want you need to ask why did you sell your Avatar. It’s like any review, which are mostly done while the owner still has the instrument. If he hated it he wouldn't own it nor would he both with a review unless it was really that bad. I think most just don't bother to say anything and let those that own the item respond which will be positive other wise they would own it. This goes for any product not just avatar cabs.

5. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Okay, I think I'm going to sell my Avatar B212. Why?.........to buy another Avatar! Since I got my GK 1001RBII I've got so much low end that 10s seem to work better for me. (already got a B210)

The B212 is an excellent cabinet with more booty than J Lo. I'm just going to go with two B210s for portability and the ability to stack, making a 410 when needed.

Alan

6. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I'm satisfied with my Avatars:
    B212 2x12
    SB115 1x15

I just received the SB115 yesterday and everything sounds great.
    I can't wait to gig with the whole package. I chose Avatars because of the price & weight advantage over Ampeg cabs. They've always had great reviews and their service is also top notch.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Do you play a 5-stringer? I hear the 2x10's roll off & kinda neuter a 5-string... Would you agree, or have you not had the chance to find out?

8. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    McHack, I don't really play 5er so I can't tell you much. I DID have a chance to hear my small rig (GK, B210) from outside the club I was playing at, and it was SHAKING THE BUILDING! The guy sitting in was playing a 5-string and it sounded great to me.

9. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    >>I think to find out the info you want you need to ask why did you sell your Avatar

That's just the thing, I've never owned an Avartar thus my inquiry !

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

I understand that, I was just trying to help. You can read praise all day long from those that still own the cab. But to find out why people sold it would be more of maybe what you would want to hear.

Either way everyone has their own opinion and just because something works for one person doesn't mean it will work for you.

Its tuff, to many options..... but then thats a good thing as well :D

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    For the money (I have a 4x10) it's great. Obviously, it isn't in the same universe as Eden or Aguilar, etc., but then, it isn't priced anywhere near them, either.

Avatar has their own niche - low, priced, solid quality cabs. For their niche, they dominate.

I have found that the tweeter is a bit, shall we say, "vulnerable"?

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My first four Avatar cabinets were a G112 (guitar cabinet), two of the original C15s and the original B112. I sold the compact cabinets because I wanted something a little bigger (and I was going to build them myself). The original C15/B112 mini stack sounded excellent....to my ears they blew away the Eden D210XLT that I A/B'd them against.

Now, I own a pair of B212s, a B210 and a CB115H (that I bought empty and loaded with an EVM 15 that I had lying around).

Avatar cabinets are a great value, they're well built using quality materials, nothing exotic but sold, tried and true. Dave uses off the shelf Eminence drivers that, should you need to, are easy to replace.

Dave works with the engineers at Eminence to design enclosures that work very well with the particular driver that he'll use in production.

As time goes by, Dave has made subtle changes to his products that improve their appearance (rounded edges) and enhance ease of use ('04 received a Speakon connector in addition to two 1/4 in. jacks).

Avatar is a small, efficient operation and Dave passes the savings along to us.

13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama

I have a 4ohm 2x10. If you play the B string aggressively it will roll off. I researched before buying and knew that it would not be the end all cabinet for a 5 string. As for the other 4 strings I could not be happier. After working with my ART LeVeLar I have found that when I use it in limiter mode the B does not break up or roll off. I would sell this one only to get another Avatar cabinet.

14. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    >>>But to find out why people sold it would be more of maybe what you would want to hear.

Brian, I see what your saying and I often think that when I'm reading reply after reply from happy buyer. I'm really getting just the satisfied people. What I'd like is maybe a mix of feedback. Unless there isn't many negative Avatar buyers out there. That would be great if I was sure that was the case .Maybe no bad news is good news . What I have seen is some good critical reviews though.

15. The speakers put into the Avatars are way better than the classic series ampegs and some people have posted that they like their Avatar over their Bergantio. The only thing that could ever be bad with these cabs is the amount of time and research put into them. The 410, 15, and 212 cabs all use the same size cabs to load the speakers into, the holes are of course cut for the speakers. I've had some problems with the grill being to close to my 15 and it just took some larger rubber stopers to give the speaker a total of .5" clearance, it was .25" before. For the price you cannnot beat them. Avatars are equal to or better than cabs $400 more than it. If you need something afordable that is good then get an Avatar. Unless you have sevaral G's to get something much better that's had some research put into it (speaking of cab size). Otherwise stick w/Avatar untill theres more money to spend.

16. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I recently picked up Avatar 210 and 115 cabs new, and am driving them with a SWR SM500. Between the two there is a lot of variety. The 115 is very deep and is shy in the treble range, like amy 115s are. The 210 is focussed in the mids, handles power and really comes to life when pushed. Together they make for a formidable bass stack. By running one on each channel and using the relative volumes to dial in the overall tone, it is simply lethal. If you want something super hi-fi, these cabs might not be it, but the 112 probably does a good job in that department.

Fantastic bang for the buck, and stomps on more expensive cabs like godzilla on a fleeing crowd. Bitchin!

17. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Smash,
    far from being a "noob", i've been playing bass for over 25 years. I've played through a lot of cabs both expensive and super cheap. You want a list of what I've played through since 1977 when I started playing?

I don't think that anyone was implying that the users of more expensive cabs are inbeciles. Far from it. They play what they like and what they can afford. But a lot of gigging players need a durable cab that sounds good and can take a beating, and they don't want to be dragging a boutique cab in and out of their gigs. I fall into that category a few times a month. I might be purchasing an Accugroove tri112, but I surely won't be taking it to some of the dives I play at.

I played a bar gig last week, and brought an Avatar 210 and used the SWR head in bridged mode. That thing ate the place up for hard/indie rock. Three players used my rig and they all liked it. They could not have cared less what the cab was. It looked good and sounded good. It sounded better as we pushed it harder. A half finished ciggy fell off someone's ear and landed on the carry handle. I did not wince.

These cabs are real meat and potatos designs, proven over time. Sonic, and Peavey, and Cerwin-Vega, and Eden for that matter, and a host of others made and make these same slot port designs. They aren't going away.

Interesting that you compare the prices of used cabs to new Avatars with warantee. Try calling the player that was beating the heck out of that Aggie 112, before he decided that it wasn't enough cab and sold it, about why the used cab you bought from him rattles like a maraca... Then call Avatar, where the owner answers the phone and is standing behind his products. That is worth something to me. The Aguilar GS112 lists for $529, and I can buy them new for almost 200 dollars less. Almost comical, indeed. List price doesn't mean much from a company that only does direct sales. But if you are looking for something to chip away at, have fun.

I've been kinda amazed that there are so few negative reviews about Avatar cabs. But I think he hits his target audience with a product that meets their needs, and the price is right. Nobody, and I mean nobody, thinks that Accugroove or EA, etc... is shaking in their boots over these cabs.

Pete

18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Actually, no brown truck is involved with a new Avatar purchase because Dave uses FedEx Ground. :) (yes, I understand your point)

Dave didn't invent the concept of claiming a List Price for merchandise available direct only. Carvin has been doing that forever (or at least the early/mid '70s when I received my first Carving catalog in the mail).

As I wrote earlier, Dave works with the engineers at Eminence to design proper enclosures for thier loudspeakers. Of course "proper" is a relative term and like any design problem requires compromise. By using the same physical cabinet size for more than one product in his line, Dave is able to control his costs better which he passes along to us. FWIW, his cabinet sizes allow him to only have to stock two different sizes of shipping containers too... One efficient lad that Dave.

I've owned a bunch of different cabinets over the years from Acoustic 1x18 folded horns, to 2x15s, Ampeg 8x10s, Goliath IIs, an Ampeg 8x6.5 cabinet and even an Acme B2 and I'm really happy with the Avatars that I'm using now.

19. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    My opinion on Avatar cabs...

Are they the lightest? No
    Are they the loudest? No
    Are they the deepest? No
    Are they the clearest? No

However, for the price, they offer the best compromise of all of the above. They are not what I'd consider to be high end cabs... there is better out there. However, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a stack, you're going to be hard pressed to find anything better than Avatar. I would also highly recommend Acme, but they're not very loud. Something more highend like EA, Accugroove, Epifani, Bergantino, etc. will give you much more of what you want, but will cost considerably more. I myself am going down the Accugroove road.

20. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have the Aguilar GS 112, the Bergantino EX 112 and the Avatar CB 112 (4 ohm). The combination of the Aguilar and the Bergantino gives me my best sound but as stand alones, the Avatar is a stronger sounding cabinet. At a gig last week, everybody in the band liked the sound of the Avatar much better than the other two. We were playing in a medium sized club and it just really filled the place. Together, the Berg and Aggie sound wonderful but as stand alones, the Avatar sounded the best.