Whats the worst bass you ever played?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Aug 17, 2003.

1. For me...

it'd probably be...

the Jaco signature was nothing special.Especially for the price.
  2. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    I'd say my mate's "works" 4-string, even when in tune it sounded like a gorilla fart and it practically fell apart in my hands

Not sure whether it was the bass' fault or the shoddy setup...
  3. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    Not sure if this is gonna be the most popular thread ever, bass bashing is generally frowned upon here in talkbass country, as far as I can remember
  4. hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Any fender J or P. I just hate them. I don't know why. Yes I do, the way they play. I hate the necks more than anything in the world. Which is odd, considering 2 of my bass heroes play them (steve harris and freekbass).
  5. I hope they don't start going "THAT BASS DOESNT SUCK! MAYBE YOU'RE PLAYING IT WRONG"

Keep in mind that we all have our own opinions...

And if you don't. I'll delete the thread.

(this isn't to you Ben,but to everyone)

6. Let's see..worst bass I've played.........well, I was really disturbed by the Brownsville bat bass. It looked cooler than it played.

I feel bad bashing a bass, though.
  7. I like the Fender J,I think it's cool.

But,I am with you on the P...I can't stand the P-bass Fender makes,also...to me,it's quite pricey...just my opinion.

8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Second on the fenders. I absolutely hate every fender I have played. They just sounded and felt like crude and boring slabs of wood. I really should try a USA fender...
  9. Ben Jammin' does have a point about bass bashing...kinda like when JT had that overrated bass thread...

But I guess you wanna make a thread about basses that didn't appeal to oneself.
  10. [edit] I removed som crap that I wrote and didn't want to stand for [/edit]

Oh, my homebuilt experimental 1-string hillbillybass was kind of lame too, I tore it apart after 10 minutes of trying to play it...
  11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Absolutely the worst - a Fender Jazz Power Special - bad tone, lots of noise in the electronics, heavy (did I say bad tone, too?), uncomfortable neck shape, bad fret job, butt-ugly purple/pink color, and the headstock overlay was delaminating! I HATE THAT BASS!

Dan K.
  12. Almost any overplayed DIRTY bass in GC or Sam Ash. If I based all of my opinions on what I've played in these stores I probably wouldn't play at all.
  13. Without question the worst bass I ever played was a '60s Vox Phantom IV. I've yet to find it's equal.
  14. we should somehow get soundclips of them here!
  15. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    A piece of poo Washburn headless. I don't remember what model it was...........but it broke into many small pieces. (they just don't make basses the way they used too) And it was fun beating it to death!!:D
  16. DaveDrummer

Nov 2, 2002
    any bass I play sounds bad. :p maybe its me :D
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Worst? Hmn...

Probably any BC Rich NJ/Bronze. I hear the USA's are nice (I got to play a USA Mockingbird for about 10 seconds at a pawn shop, but that's not enough for an opinion).

Just miserable, IME.
  18. the absolute worst would be this fender P i played at a studio where i was recording once. it just felt wrong, not to mention the electronics were WAY outta whack. i don't even know what was happening in that bass.
  19. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Two short-scale or medium-scale quasi Fender clones that this guy had. I don't know the name so I can't bash them properly. He was attempting to learn bass and I was attempting to give him lessons. A frustrating experience. I understood why he couldn't play those basses. I couldn't play them either. After some setup work and a little tinkering with the electronics, I got them where they were almost playable and where one of them sounded almost like a bass. Best I could do. :meh:

But I've never found a Fender P or J that felt right to me. Or any Yamaha for that matter. I am not trying to say "your bass sucks." I just don't like 'em.

But I love my Carvins and a lot of people here have been unimpressed with Carvin. So it's just a matter of finding what suits you.