1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whats the worst injury you've played with

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by trimslinger, Oct 25, 2013.

1. So whats the worst owie you've jammed or played with?
    no pic no owie suspended from this thread...but if ya got
    one,lay it on us!

mine,this morning stuffed my thumb into a tablesaw blade! on my fretting hand!
    6 stitches, quart of blood, still made it thru 3 hour
    practice :bassist:

cracked up when someone started playing under my thumb:D

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I cut two left hand fingertips off working in a kitchen and played a gig that weekend. It was about ten years ago, so no pics. Lots of superglue was involved. I think I made $50 for the gig.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    A papercut (I kid you not, it hurt like h*ll and I had to pluck the strings with only the other fingers). :)

Also neck and back pains, but that's more or less constant anyway.

4. Forgotmypen13

Forgotmypen13

Oct 11, 2013
    Fell off a roof while roofing, dislocated fretting shoulder, fractured collar bone, also landed with a couple nails into my palm, 2 days in hospital, gigged same weekend 3 shows haha good times.

5. Rneckties31

Rneckties31 Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Today my left hand pinky got shut in the door and it took a huge chunk of skin with it and fractured it. I Put a bandaid on....and off to practice! Hurt pretty bad and sounded weird but I made it through just fine.

6. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    I burnt rings across the joints of EVERY finger on my fretting hand on a hot stove about 5 hours before my first gig with a new band... Rubbed loads of aloe vera onto the affected areas and just hoped that the blistering wouldn't be too bad until after the gig. Sadly, this was not the case and I had to endure a 50 minute set playing with at least 2 blisters on each of my fingers.

7. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Torn Achilles tendon...had a gig 4 days after reconstruction surgery and played the gig sitting in a chair.

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

After a motorcycle wreck I played a few gigs in a body cast. My bandmates would set up my gear, prop me on a stool, and we would rock and roll. After the gig they would lay me in the back seat and take me home. I'm glad that lasted only a couple months.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

9. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Fell down a flight of stairs due to ice in the winter and taken to the hospital in an ambulance.
    Couple days later in a neck brace hopped up on muscle relaxers and vicodin and played.
    Dedication. :bassist:

iriegnome likes this.
  10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I broke my spine in a motorcycle accident, and ended up needing to have a spinal fusion done. I played a show only a few weeks out of surgery, and shouldn't have. If I had it to do over again, I would've definitely skipped that one.

I only play bass on about 1/3 or so of our songs, so it's not like I had a bass strapped on for all four hours, but it was still pretty bad.

11. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Broken Heart :bag:

But seriously, when I first started playing I developed this hybrid wart/callus on the part of my thumb where I would do a lot of slapping (early 90's..I loved Flea). I would use Krazy Glue to fill in a crack in this wart thingy. I forgot to fill it in before a show and the the G string got stuck in crack and ripped half of it off my thumb. I looked down and my hand was covered in blood and it was all over my bass. I thought this is so "Punk Rock" and kept playing. Later I went to the doctor and had to get it removed, not so punk rock when I cried when they numbed the area with Novocaine and sliced it off.

12. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    When taking our first break of the night I jumped off the stage and broke my right ankle. Limped around for the next three hours insisting I was fine!

Cheers,
    Jim

13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    How do you fret with your shoulder??? :D

14. cjp3044

cjp3044

Oct 10, 2008
    Clovis, CA
    I thought I had this one in the bag playing with three broken ribs. After reading what some of you guys have been through I'm never gonna complain again. Damn!

15. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I concur, mine seems so trivial after reading this thread.

Very young me, upset with girlfriend. Took it out on the wall. Punched a hole through the drywall, and smashed my pinky knuckle. Wrapped it up for gig with electronic/pop band.
    First song: Slappity, slappity, slappity.
    Owwwwwwww........

16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I've played with a newly bruised rib (not even cracked) after an accident with my motorcycle, and it hurt pretty good despite pain killers, I can't even imagine what three broken ribs would fel like ... :eek:

17. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Guitar gig, played after cutting off the tip of my right thumb. Drugs helped tremendously with that one.

18. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I got a little dehydrated once and my right hand ( plucking ) started cramping up into a claw. I couldnt' even hold a pick it hurt so bad. I played by using my fingers like a pick, and had to move my whole forearm to pluck the strings.

It sounds funny but it really sucked at the time. Not a true injury I guess, it did go away. But I don't wish that on anyone.

19. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Think the worst injury I ever played with was a a combination injury of a crushed ulner nerve and a tear in a tendon in my left wrist

20. Cycho

Cycho

Nov 30, 2010
    Wow, those guys must have really liked your playing!