What's the worst sports injury you've ever seen?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MoltarRocks, Jan 3, 2003.

1. I'd have to say Lawrence Taylor breaking Joe Thiesmann's leg. It was like breaking a piece of celery but not getting it all the way through...

It was worse than watching the F1 race where Ayrton Senna smacked the wall and died.
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i saw this video of a kickboxing match where a guy kicked another guy in the shin - shin to shin - and his leg snapped. and the worst part was that he must have not noticed it flopping around, and put his foot down to stand on it again, and it buckled.

that must have HURT.
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I watched something one time about an Australian Rugby player that broke his leg mid-shin, and the bottom rotated something like 270 degrees. They said his sock was pretty much the only thing holding the bottom of his leg on. THAT must have been painful!
    In person, the worst I've seen was at a high school football game. I guy got ran into the fence on the sidelines right in front of me. When his collarbone broke, it broke the skin and went through his pads. It was nasty.
    Seeing my own injuries sucked pretty bad, too. Watching a foot kick me in the head, seeing the sole of my foot point towards the sky, etc.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'll second Theisman's leg...it was a Monday nighter, right?
    A close 2nd is Tim Krummrie's broken leg(flapping in the breeze) during an '80s Super Bowl(Cincinnati vs. SF).

I've seen a few hyper-extensions(NFL, NBA, NHL) where I went EEE-YOWWWW!

I did not see goaltender Clint Malarchuk's jugular get slashed by a skate blade...heard it was pretty rough seeing all that blood.
    ...and I just remembered Mike Foligno's broken ankle when he was a member of the Maple Leafs.

How 'bout Dave Dravecky's broken arm as he hurled a pitch? The sound was pretty eerie...
  5. My own - messed up a jump on a set of stairs - from 9 feet up, fell on my face...

6. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    well the one i could feel the most.. hmmm
    I cracked my tailbone skateboarding a couple years back.. ive blown my knee out once when i was sponsored and ended up getting dropped for that.
    total suckage. =/
    Hmm.. thats probably why i haven't skated in about a year ... hardcore skate session in almost a year and a half. =X
    :oops: :oops:
  7. Yes that was a monday niter... I didn't see Malarchuk's either... BTW I'm going to the Flyers v Ducks tonight - I'm from Philly - so go Flyers!
  8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    On the tube: I'll second Theisman's compound fracture.

For actual gore in my living room: I was watching T.V. when my seventh grade science teacher opens the front door - he was also my older bro's baseball coach and he's got my brother with him. Bro's got a t-shirt of coaches wadded up trying to control the blood that's flowing like mad out of his mouth and he's got his two front teethe dangling from his braces. Now that was creepy. I didn't really witness the injury, but I saw the aftermath and it was a sports injury and this thread made me think of that.
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ouch! That ones hurst just thinking about it!
    I forgot about the one that was more of a pain to the ego, than anything else...Jose Canseco's fly-ball-off-the-head, giving up the homerun. That had to hurt pretty bad.

Edit: Because I can't spell.
  10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Brian Noble of the Green Bay Packers landing on his head and twisting his neck during a Packers/Bears game. He was on the field for a long time and left in a neckbrace and on a stretcher. That was his last game in the NFL (he was not paralyzed, but he did retire).

I saw Triple H blow out his quadriceps muscle during a match and then proceed to get put in the "Walls of Jericho." That wasn't as much brutal to look at as it was hard to imagine the pain he was in.

I saw Eddie Guerrero dislocate his elbow doing a "Frog Splash" during a match (they showed a closeup of it when it popped out -- gross).

Undertaker versus Brock Lesnar in their Hell in a Cell match. The blood literally poured out of his head.

Undertaker versus Mick Foley in their Hell in a Cell match. Mick dislocated his shoulder, punctured a lung, was knocked out and lost some teeth!

Owen Hart falling from the rafters and dying (I didn't actually see that happen).
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

... and this skinny as a rail skate dude was falling off his board and he put his arm out to cushion the fall and his twig like forearm broke in 4 or 5 places.
    I said to my wife..."yeeeooow!"

2nd the Krumrie break at The 1980 Superbowl.

The absolute worst:
    Watching Detroit Lions Guard Mike Utley not get up.
  12. I was there. We got tickets like the day of the event too. King of the ring. i forget what year, but that was one hell of a match.

I watched a game on thanksgiving where this one guy broke his nose (a kicker for...i forget what team) and they showed an extreme closeup of it for about 10 seconds...

I saw that one where the guy broke his leg and fell back on it. It was on, I think, "You Gotta See This," and it was....
  13. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Watching an arm wrestling competition on TV and one of the guys arms snapped. :eek:
  14. Mine skating was pretty bad... I attempted an 10 foot drop at skate park off the top of a small half pipe onto flat. I decided to frontside flip it... well all went good until the end when my foot hit the board after I caught it and I coned myself... I didnt fall, I stood there with my board between my legs as I bled from innapropriate place. That lacked all fun... we got it on video too.

I don't skate much these days
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Hey, scenes from The Fly don't count :p
  16. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    The Fly?? This was before "The Fly" but it could well have been used or duplicated for the movie.
  17. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well.. I didn't see it.. but it happened when my step father was playing football for Ferum college..

They were practicing. well.. as always.. someone gets tackled.. but when the Guy gets up he is screaming and crying.. he pulls his helmet off and His eye is hanging out of the socket.. Turns out the Kid had some sort of cancer behind his eye.. My step-dad had a hard time telling me that story.. the Guy died a few years later
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I saw a picture in a sports magazine advertising Rugby
    and in the picture one guys thumb was almost fully lodged into this other guys eye.

19. jblaven

Nov 18, 2002
    What just happened to Miami's star running back OUCH!
  20. I just watched that. Man, looks like his knee just went the wrong way. That was bad.