What's the worst wedding gig you've ever played?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have two. At the first one, the bride had an uncle who never quite made it as a singer, so he figured this was his chance. He hijacked the mic during "Ain't No Stopping Us Now", and decided that the crowd wanted to hear his 1 hour version, and apparently the vodka he was loaded on agreed. After about 30 minutes or so, I stopped playing. If you've ever played that song before, you'd know why. It's a VERY busy bassline. When I stopped, he turned to the crowd (his family) and said, "Boo the bassplayer!", and his family was like, "No! YOU sit down and shut up!" He spent the rest of the night trying to get his "revenge", whatever that would've entailed. :rolleyes: He did mention something to the effect of "You're lucky that I'm not a physical man."

At the second one, EVERYONE at the reception wanted to do a verse of "Sweet Home Alabama"!The same verse! The second one that mentions Watergate. :eek: The bandleader apologized for hours after that one.
  2. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Oh God! I have thousands of these:D

The standard father of the bride who gets up to do "a few bars" of invariably Delilah, 'sweet caroline' or 'the candy store on the corner' in his own unique rhythm and pitch (I swear to god one guy went from 5/4 to 3/4 up to 7/4 one night and the song changed key about 20 times in the first verse alone).

The guy who asks to get up to sing 'Elvis' who disappears for a few minutes only to re-appear in full 'Fat Elvis the vegas years' regalia..wig, sideburns, shiny belt and all...I swear I nearly puked I was laughing so much.

Riot between the two families In THE MIDDLE OF THE FIRST SONG:eek: .

The electricity grid going down in the area just as we were about to start....by the time it came back on (3 hours later) we could only play one song before the premises were shut (in fairness they still paid us though...easiest money I ever made)

Drunken singer who in fairness hid it brilliantly...never missed a cue or a line and sang in pitch all night UNTIL he announced the next song was by 'Simon and Carabunkle', sang 'Teddy bear' as 'Pubic hair' and started Chris De Burghs lonely skies as 'My underpants they call Labeeze are swirling down around my knees......'.

And the best.....The gang of 'hard cases' who decided to gatecrash a wedding not realising it was a 'special forces' bash....needless to say they got a good lesson in manners....most entertaining wedding I was ever at.
  3. Crap We've got a wedding to do in Nevada Missouri on the 27th LOL

weddings are just like biker gigs theres always somebody who wants to take over the mic, and theve had way too much to drink. Or DUDE I can play guitar I promise!!!
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Sadly, I've never played a wedding gig, and don't really expect to, since everybody wants to throw their money away on a DJ for weddings/parties. :rolleyes:

Hey Woodchuck, if that dude decided to get "physical" you could have hit him with your bass, then threw your cab at him. :D
  5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im envious, i bet if i played in a wedding band id have better stories. As it stands not alot of people want to hire indie bands to play weddings, but theres alot of hot punk girls to be had usually. I bet all the single girls seeing their friends get married makes them depressed and want the band guys, so mabye you guys do have me beat in that catagory.
  6. I think it is a tie score. Every wedding gig is tied with all the others for worst wedding gig ever. Each one has the drunken uncle, aunt, father of the bride, etc., etc. who is a wannabe musician and they always make their presence known. I always get a special laugh when (this always happens) a woman comes up during a break and asks if her husband/boyfriend can play a song because he used to play in a band. Evidently there is a massive collection of horrible ex-musicians who frequent weddings because that's the only place where they have even half a chance of getting up on stage. We always charge boucoup money to play weddings because of the high coefficient of foolishness that always seems to be present!