Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's there to do in San Francisco?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jade, Dec 29, 2005.

1. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    I'll be going to San Francisco for a week to visit me family, since most of my family is working I'll be exploring the city with my brother. If the legal age is 21, we'll be both underaged. If it's 19 we'll be of age. So, can some Local please suggest of place to go and stores to visit in the San Francisco area? We'll be travelling by public transit.

2. Though not specific to San Francisco, Cirque du Soleil is performing through the 8th:
    http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/showstickets/corteo/intro/intro.htm

I saw that show. It was amazing!

You can come check out my band in Berkeley on the 5th too. :) (see my sig)

- Dave

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm actually going to san francisco tomorrow morning. Me and a couple friends are seeing les claypool perform apparently, I don't know much about the show or what, but that never stopped a good adventure up the coast.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you can get tickets to see Teatro Zinzanni I highly recommend it. I saw it a year ago tomorrow night and it was one of the most memorable evenings I've ever had.

Great dinner, great entertainment. It's kind of a circus dinner type thing, and the house band is phenominal. Don't forget to try to sit near the bandstand if you do, Stu Hamm might come say hi ;)

Anyway, other than that, stop by Chinatown, great cool shops, right by I believe, there's plenty of shops around there. Market and SoMa have some cool shops.

Definately stop by the Fisherman's Wharf, and go to Alkatraz if time allows. One thing I wish I did while I was there was make it out to Alkatraz.

5. Go to The Warfield!

And less important stuff;/.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You can put some flour in your hair.

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Legal age (like all of the USA) is 21, so booze is pretty much done.

I'd say come by my office and laugh at me... but I am on vacation *L*

It really depends how much of a geek you are... *L* I love the SF zoo... there's the Palace of Fine arts, which has the exploratorium right next door... Fisherman's Warf, Ghiradelli Square are both cool, as is Pier 23 and Pier 39

8. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Try the SF Fillmore on Geary Blvd. the next few days...

12/29 Phil Lesh & The John Mayer Trio (Pino Palladino)
    12/30 Les Claypool
    01/07 Jackson Browne
    02/24 Buddy Guy (had to include this)
    03/03 Victor Wooten (had to include this)

9. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
  10. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    I checked out the website and it looks like a good show. The tickets are $110 US so it might be too expensive for us but I'll ask my brother about it! We'll go out of Fisherman's Wharf and see all the piers for one day!

11. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I got a few more questions.

How is the weather like this time of year? What kind of clothes should I pack? Does it rain? Is there any cool/neat store to check out downtown? Where are some good (inexpensive) places to eat?

The TB community is awesome!

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Haight street...

Great music store and good musician shop some cool stores (Also smoke shops but you can ignore them i guess if you are not into that :) ) and lots of hippies... of course its being damaged by gap and mcdonalds... but its still a pretty cool place...

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Pillowbiting is a popular activity there.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Jade.

Sorry you're coming at a bad time. We got a lot of rain comin' our way...

If you can't see Cirque de Soleil, you could always catch the Beach Blanket Babylon.

Spoken like a true connoiseur. :D

15. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Assume it will rain... Figure it's going to be either cold, wet rainy.. like 50's... or ok and sunny.. like 60's..

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm your xxxmaster baybee (fluffs the pillow for BB)

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Hard Rock Cafe is cool in San Fran.

Hey Tim....when you were at AlCatraz, did you happen to get John "Vicki" Johnson as your tour guide? Did he mention the story about the ocular cavities? :D

-Mike

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No, that's the one place I never got to go in SF. Big mistake :(

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Woops, my bad. I read your post wrong. I thought it said you did go. I better go to bed.

-Mike

20. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Victor Wooten just played Yoshi's last week, too.. I didn't findout until the day before the show, and tickets were sold out... One of my co-worker's saw him.. rat bastard...