Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's this? A new bass!?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Hye guys, I ordered a ne bass the other day, and I finally got it, and I couldn't be happier.

The bass is an Ibanez SR1006 EFM Limited edition burled poplar top. This thing is amazing, I can't go anywhere without it.

It uses custom bartolini pickups with a Vari-mid hifi active 3 band EQ (same as the one in the K5), and it's a little confusing, but I think I'm getting it.

The maple and mahogony neck is really smooth, it has a satin feel, and it has great low action (barely any fret buzz out of the box!). It's a nexk through 5 piece, and I love it. It has gold hardware and an individual saddle bridge (mono-rail IV)

oh, and I'm hoping to get this signed by Mr. Nitti this upcoming bass up in atlanta. I've never met him, but I've heard his, stuff, and I'm planning on going to the clinic, do you think he would mind signing my bass? or does he do it no problem...? just something I'm a little worried about.

and yes, I have pictures...yay!

oh, total price (w/ case) is $1504.98, and worth every penny so far. One of the best things about it though, is that I worked all summer and saved money so I could buy a new bass (only 15, so I have to do that :p)

Pictures:
    http://www.maj.com/gallery/TW-Revamped/Me/Ibanez/img_0656.jpg

http://www.maj.com/gallery/TW-Revamped/Me/Ibanez/img_0657.jpg

http://www.maj.com/gallery/TW-Revamped/Me/Ibanez/img_0658.jpg

http://www.maj.com/gallery/TW-Revamped/Me/Ibanez/img_0659.jpg

http://www.maj.com/gallery/TW-Revamped/Me/Ibanez/img_0660.jpg

Enjoy, and I'll be sure to write a review as soon as I play with it a bit more.

Thanks,

Greg

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Well done,
    I am not an Ibanez fan, but that bass is quite stunning in it's beauty. Special congratulations on the hard work you put into earning it. It is a cliche, but it really does feel better when something takes effort, and judging by the bass it looks like the reward was very much worth the effort.
    Enjoy it!

3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    This is a very nice bass. You should be proud of yourself for working hard and saving.

Good for you!

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Congratulations! I'm not too far removed from 15 myself, so I remember the extra pride that goes into playing something you worked so hard for. I, too, am not really a big Ibanez fan, but that burl is absolutely gorgeous! I LOVES me a good piece of burled wood.

5. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Thanks for the replies, and I'm glad that you guys agree on how beautiful this is. Although, the pics don't do it justice (I'll take better ones later).

I won't be able to get great low tones out of this for a while because I have a small 15 watt combo, with a 8 inch woofer and I'm planning on purchasing a 15 inch woofer with about 100 watts pf power (I'll get good stuff out of that!)

Thanks

Greg

6. Thats awesome!

Enjoy it, it's all yours. :bassist:

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :bassist:

In a word: Beautiful

8. That has to be the most beautiful Ibanez that Ive ever seen.

Where did you get it from? Ive never seen one with such a nice top on it.

9. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    it's a samash limited edition one, they have another one with zebrawood, but the burl just attracted me more

Greg

10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1

11. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Definately very very nice! congrats!

btw, i've been wondering lately...

I've never tried a 6 string bass, and never really liked 5 strings. I didn't like how the B was under the E. Prolly just because i wasn't used to it. Anyway, my question is... Do people who play 4 strings tend to prefer 6 strings or 5 strings? I'd like to try a 6 string. I'd think it would add to my ability greatly.

12. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    well, I was told by my instructor that it's better to go with a 6 string string because you have so many more options with the high c, instead of just the low b. I've been told this by more than 1 person, and I took their advice, and I'm just passing it on.

I love this bass. Further analysis has proven that this has a great slap tone, good tapping abillity, and a great preamp. I finally figured out the controls (I think)

4 knobs, (2 sacked, 2 dome top)
    1 stacked is treble on top, mid on bottom, and the other is bass on bottom, bass boost on top. The there is volume, and pickup selector. Great hardware, great looks, I couldn't be happier with this.

The case is also great quality, it hold the bass in good and everything.

I'd reccomend this to anyone, and as soon as I get a decent amp, I'll try and record something.

Greg

13. Going by your instructor and whomever elses logic, you'd be better off with a 12-string.

Congratulations on your new instrument - it's good to see kid's working towards a goal and attaining it.

In regrads to Funk's question... that is a major generality that cannot be answered by one bassist. With ERB's, you're essentially adding more colors to an already dense palette. If your techique permits it (see Jean Baudin - he is incredible), then you will paint a masterpiece. If four strings is your bag, you can still figuratively paint something just as remarkable.

14. Get an autoharp! Then you'll have it all!!! ;)

Just kidding. I love the look! The gold hardware on that wood really makes it shine! Great buy! Have fun with it! :bassist:

15. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    nicest ibanez ever!

16. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    thanks guys, I'm really glad you like how it looks, but as I said before, the pics don't do it justice. I'll take better pics today or this weekend so you can really see it's beauty. I'm also going to try and get some sound clips, but I have to wait for a bigger amp first.

Greg

17. These six string Ibanez basses are getting pretty popular here on TB... new flavor of the season???

I have to admit, I'm jealous! I'm almost 18, and still have a Peavey BXP series Millenium :( I'm very sad.

I just can't scrape up enough money for something I want... Well for anything really.

Anyway, congrats on the new purchase!

~Ryan

18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    WOW!! :eek:

That's awesome!!! I'd be all over that!! Sweet score!

19. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Pretty!!!

Enjoy,
    Marshall

20. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Darn nice looking bass... I'm not an Ibanez fan either, but I would doubt anyone could argue with how nice that bad boy looks.