Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's this Ampeg head worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dees, Sep 22, 2004.

1. what this ampeg head worth? Someone is selling this one from a 2nd-hand site, I'm going to check it this saturday, but don't really know what it's worth. I know a lot about the newer ampeg stuff, but not about this older stuff.
    pics can be found here: PICS
    It looks like the head is in good condition (wich is important to me), and the buyer says it's re-tubed about a year ago
    thanks in advance.

2. Welk model is het? :)

It's good to see some pics, but they're quite blurry... Looks like a tube-amp though.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Pics sure are blurry...

It could be one of the 500 "skunkworks amps" which is missing its little brass tag.

It clearly says its an SLM SVT (info at right of back panel), and from the 4 inputs etc, it seems to be from the skunkworks era.

I have seen some that looked like they were assembled from parts of different units from different times, that is also possible.

4. buyer says it's an SVT2, but I always thought SVT2's looked diffirent? I also thought it was one of the skunkworks amps (there was a thread about it a few weeks ago), but started to doubt since there is no plate (with the "model X from 500").
    Can anyone say what it's worth?

thanks

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Ok, I think its an SVT-HD.

I didn't check and thought we had changed the preamp earlier. A later look at an older catalog shows the setup same as the pics.

Power amp has the 12BH7, preamp does have the 12AX7 mod, but still has the 6C4.

6. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    that looks similar to my SVT-100, but mine is from the MTI era

7. Blurry? You guys must be gettin' on up in years! I've never seen such crispy pics.

Definitely (tryin?) to be a Skunkworks.
    Well, assuming it's a complete genuine Skunkworks and you just gotta have an SVT (and who doesn't?!?) and it's up to spec I would say around $1100. The going range is from $800-$1500 with the majority around the $1000 mark.

SVTs really need to be looked at on a case-by-case basis because:

a) if it needs to be serviced and tubes replaced go ahead and deduct $500.
    b) if its been cobbled together from various units deduct $1000
    c)sometimes you find one sitting in mint condition in some 74 year old man's downstairs bedroom closet covered up with about ten calico blankets where he's been hiding it from his wife since 1982 and last month she found it and all hell broke loose and he forgot it was there himself cuz he never goes down there because the TV is upstairs and the kid down the street that he was gonna give it to looked at it and said it looked like something from 1854 (definitely not hip) and did not want it but now that you are here and want it where do I lift? :hyper: :ninja:

8. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    If it is an SVT-HD, that would be basically the same as a skunkworks amp, other than the little plate, I believe.....

So whichever, either would be equal, and an HD might run you less money, people not knowing its the same....

9. great, thanks for the info.
    I suppose that the tubes are still availabe here in Belgium?
    Does anyone know where I have to pay attention for when I check it? I don't know a lot about tube amps