1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats this Ampeg worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Oct 31, 2010.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Hey all, I have an Ampeg B25B tube bass head that I bought a year or so ago from someone in desperate need of cash so I listed the head for what I had into it. I had a couple of bites but I couldn't find a camera although I just found some pictures from when I got the amp.

Its in pretty good shape, some minor staining on the grill cloth. No major tears in the tolex although the glue is coming off around some of the seams. The only difference between the amp now and when I got it is that another plastic knob fell off of channel 2.

Not sure of the year as it looks like they never stamped the serial number on it. Its just black powercoat paint like the rest of the amp.

The amp was recently checked out and had a clean bill of health from an experienced amp tech. I also had the power tubes replaced as well as I was getting some hum that couldn't be biased out. I believe the tubes are JJs but I can't be sure (I lack the screw driver with the hex tip to open it up) but it could have vintage tubes in it from my amp guy's secret stash. Still pretty sure they're JJs. The tube in the 12AX7 position is a NOS RFT ECC83.

attachment.

attachment.

attachment.

2. I've seen them go between $150-$350 if its mint

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Searching TB classifieds says that they go for a bit more in recent times. I originally had this priced at 360 local pickup.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I totally just played through one of those at the music store three blocks away. I was testing out a pedal, though, and didn't even look at the price tag. Sounded very nice, though.

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Its a great sounding amp and one of my favorites, which is saying a lot considering how many I've owned since I've been playing. I owned this and an early SVT blue line concurrently and sold the SVT before I got rid of this. The only amp I ever liked more than this was my Mesa Boogie 400+ and a 66 Fender Bassman.

6. turn you in to Union University!:D,,,i'd wipe the name off with some lacquer thinner or mineral spirits( soap?)just for good measure=have a great evening;)

(looks cool! i'd keep it and play it like it was stolen,TUBES MAN!:hyper:)

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'd keep it if I could.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    sorry you have to off it, bro. hope things turn around for you soon. the goodwill you spread recently will come back to you. and you can always get another one down the road.

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I think your pricing is fair, but the B25 (IMO at least) carries a smaller market than most of the other ampegs because of the wattage and the 16 ohm thing. If I could find one with a matching cab, and had the money, I'd buy it in a heart beat. But I can almost guarantee that I wont have the money any time soon, and really I'd just want it for the 2x15.

10. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yah, there's one in the classifieds that needs an output transformer and I'm thinking I'd want to swap in a transformer with a multitap output anyways...
    I picked up a fairly beat looking cab a few years ago with the (I think?) original square magnet CTS speakers and it sounds pretty good but I'd be afraid of blowing it up if i gigged with it - dunno what the speakers can really take but I've presently a Traynor PM100 pushing it as a practice amp with a Tube Works Blue Tube preamp.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    You can use the B25B with an 8ohm cab. Just stick a 1/4" adapter in one of the speaker out.

Aliasboogie likes this.