Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FooIsFood, Nov 21, 2004.

1. FooIsFood

FooIsFood

Nov 21, 2004
    Hey - first post,
    I got this bass for free essentially, tryin' to figure out if it is worth doing anything with. I played it many years ago and it seemed nice. The joker I got it from *spray* painted it black, which I carefully removed with rubbing compound and it came out very nice. I'm finally getting around to reassembling it and trying to figure out what it is. I don't have a digital camera handy, so I'll describe. First off, it's a Hohner - which I see is not very popular around here - it is symmetric (unlike my Fender Jazz Special, where the upper cut out (?) is longer ) and could be played righty or lefty, 2 Pots, 1 switch, and one set of split pickups. No distinguishing marks (except for the "H" logo on the head and on the brass rod plate), it has a solid brass saddle and the tuning pegs are symetric on the head. Any ideas?
    I need to replace the nut, I'm thinking of replacing the pickups with DiMarzio Model P's, replacing the Pots (250K I believe are correct) and restringing.
    Does this seem worth doing?
    Thanks,
    Foo is food

2. FooIsFood

FooIsFood

Nov 21, 2004
    Oh,
    Forgot the color, amber sunburst, has a real vintage look.
    Thanks,
    Foo is food

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont know the model, but i owned a Hohner steinberger clone and it was a nice bass. Depending on how old that bass is and how the quality control is, it should be a nice player. Probably isnt worth all that much, but it should be nice to have around.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If it plays good and is in decent shape, a few upgrades probably wouldn't be out of line. Like was mentioned above, it isn't going to be worth much, but you could end up with a pretty good player.

It all boils down to whether or not it is worth it to you to sink the money into the Hohner or keep that money and spend it towards a different bass.

5. FooIsFood

FooIsFood

Nov 21, 2004
    Thanks guys,
    I'm probably gonna do the upgrade, borrowed the old man's digital cam (old man is 70, by the way) - I'll send pix soon.
    Foo is food :)